Corsair Community

Use nice older H100 AIO cooler with a new LGA 1700 or alternatively an AMD build?

Go to solution Solved by DevBiker,

Hello All, 

I have one of the H100 coolers that has been great on a P9X79 motherboard, both with Xeons and some faster i7's. 

I'm finally going to upgrade to an LGA 1700, ordered some parts yesterday. I could switch to a Ryzen possibly also, given my application. 

Is there a way to use this cooler with the LGA 1700, or a modern AMD chip? I see some adapter parts (variably available) for the slightly-newer coolers, but wondering if the intel brackets I have might work, with or without some different-size screws or standoffs.

Any advice appreciated, 

David

That's gonna be an oldie.

The LGA 1700 barcket isn't going to be compatible with anything that was current at that time. IF you happen to have an AM4 bracket, that will work with AM5.

While I understand "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ... I have to wonder if it's worth the risk? They do have a finite lifetime, after all.

@DevBiker Great avatar, BTW. 

When you mention the finite lifetime, do you mean the AIO cooler itself? It just seemed like a nice unit, very expensive at the time. 
OTOH I was going to give away the old board/mem/CPU/GPU cards to a local refurb/recycle place, so maybe should just keep the AIO with it...

Funny a recommended replacement I recently used elsewhere is like 1/6 the cost... not even counting inflation: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PTXFDP6

D

• Solution

Yes, the cooler itself does have a finite lifetime. At some point, it is going to die, probably when it is most disruptive (because ... Murphy). Corrosion ... liquid evaporation/loss ... just plain old wear and tear ... sooner or later, it'll catch up.

And yes, I'm sure it was a very good, top end unit at the time. Just like your motherboard and CPU were ... at the time. That is the nature of technology ...