Corsair Community

Is my h150i Cappelix failing?

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

Earlier today everything was as normal, I left for an hour so my PC was sleeping when I got back I start up again and the fans ramped up to max while doing no more than basic browsing and never came back down again. Tried to restart still the same. I goto iCue and it doesnt show my pump but instead Commander Core. I found a thread on reddit that said forcing the firmware to update can fix the fans issue and when I did that it showed the pump again but after a restart its back to showing Commander Core again. 

I tried the firmware thing again, same thing again I can see the pump again but I cant use any other fan profile other than my own custom curve or the fans go to max, Coolent temp currently 37 - 38 but the fans will run at max. 

I tried to run the pump at extreme and the emergency shut down kicked in. Ive tried that again since and it worked fine but its definately got me thinking something isnt ok with this cooler right now. 

I know temps look ok now but earlier doing the exact same thing they were in 48-50 and its back to saying Commander Core again no pump showing at all.

At the moment Im not sure I can trust this cooler and as I say it was fine earlier today I didnt change anything or update anything.

Try the power reset.  Shut down the PC and flip the PSU off.  Hold down the case power button for 10 seconds to drain any residual power.  Flip the PSU back on and start normally.  That should force both Com Core and pump top to do a deep connection check.  When CUE shows the Commander Core instead of the AIO face in devices, it means it cannot communicate with the pump.  Theoretically it could be bricked pump FW, but since you've already tried a forced reload, trying working the other end of this.  

19 minutes ago, ShavedApe said:

I tried to run the pump at extreme and the emergency shut down kicked in.

Which shutdown?  Motherboard/BIOS CPU temp safety shutdown?  CUE's coolant temp emergency shutdown?

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the reply but sadly that didnt work. Left it disconnected from the power for around 20 minutes came back and still shows the commander.

The  CUE's coolant temp emergency shutdown was the shutdown I was referring to. Only did it once but it led me to start thinking something going on with the cooler.

Edited by ShavedApe

So the fans no longer ramp up to full on any profile now but it still shows the commander after a restart. Again forcing the FW fixes that but I don't want to do that every time I start up the PC

• Solution

If the coolant shutdown triggered, then the pump stopped and that should never happen -- even if the pump loses it's USB connection.  It might happen during a FW update if the process stalls and lingers for too long.  The pump does need to power cycle to complete the task and that is also what usually restores the communication rather than the FW re-save.  

Any time the pump stops you should take it seriously.  Start a Support Ticket with Corsair.  Even if it does not happen again, the ground work is laid out.  On that note, they are going to ask you to do the power cycle, re-connect the Commander Core to pump 22 pin power cable, probably clean install CUE, and do you have any other RGB control programming running, etc.  Try and get out in front of that in the ticket by stating you've already done the power cycle trick and so forth.  I don't see any evidence or reason to believe this is a software conflict with another program.  That usually presents a whole bunch of other issues like garbage data, impossible temps (-52C), etc.  Nevertheless, if you feel like doing a clean install while you wait for them you can.  Make sure you export any valuable profiles first and this is also a good idea if they are going to ship you a new unit.  You'll want to reimport the profiles a new AIO, otherwise it will think you are running 2 and not apply the old profile data.  

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025166712-iCUE-How-to-perform-a-clean-reinstallation-of-iCUE

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply and all the info its much appreciated.