Corsair Community

iCUE link and ARGB

TTonk81

All of my fans are part of the iCUE link ecosystem and are working well. I was not however able to get my motherboard (ASUS) or GPU (EVGA) RGB to work with iCUE.

My case has an ARGB strip that I want to control via iCUE, is there anything I can get that would allow it to work without having the ARGB connected to the motherboard?

I was thinking maybe  the iCUE Lighting Node PRO RGB Lighting Controller would be what I need but I didn't want to order it only to find out its wont work.

You need a third party adapter to connect the 'motherboard style' 5v connector into a Corsair controller. This is an example of one for a Lighting Node Pro and it can be used from anything from LED strips to custom water blocks or other 5v bling devices.  The trick is CUE will only generate LED strips in CUE sizes, so if you've got more than 60 LEDs, you'll need to use 'external RGB strips" to generate the longer length.  

The Lighting Node Pro works fine and has two channels for this stuff.  Make sure you don't over-pay.  That is an inexpensive controller that is in short supply through authorized retailers.  I am seeing some ridiculous prices out there.  Ebay or the like may offer a much better deal and there are a lot of them out there from when it was a freebie in fan multi-packs.  If you have a Commander XT, it already has a RGB channel for this purpose but the Commander Core for AIOs does not as the pump power chain takes its place.  

I don't, the only thing i have is the iCUE link controller.

Yeah, I noticed they are going for stupid prices. eBay will be the better option as I only need the hub and not the lights etc.

Not sure how many LEDs are in the strip as it is part of the O11 Dynamic Evo XL and can't find any info on it.

If it's going to be too expensive or a pain ill just unplug the strip.

Thanks anyhow.

Sorry for the double post, I just had a look at the Commander XT, if I wanted to use any non-link fans with iCUE would that be the best option?

It looks like it would do fans and ARGB all in one

11 hours ago, TTonk81 said:

Not sure how many LEDs are in the strip as it is part of the O11 Dynamic Evo XL and can't find any info on it.

This came up recently and it had increased from the 30 LEDs on the prior cases.  Much higher number now, but it will work with a Lighting Node Pro.

11 hours ago, TTonk81 said:

I just had a look at the Commander XT, if I wanted to use any non-link fans with iCUE would that be the best option?

If you have non-Link fans and want them speed and RGB controlled through CUE, then the Commander XT is a better option.  No speed control on the LN Pro or Core devices.  However, if you already have a CUE Link Hub + fans or AIO, that's the direction we're headed.  A Commander XT is not overly expensive at $50 USD compared to redoing your case in QX fans, but this is a shift in control technology and most future products will be CUE Link based.  That's why it's funny we still don't have a RGB strip adapter for the CUE Link hub and the Lighting Node Pro appears to be on the verge of discontinuance in the interim.  

@c-attack the O11D XL has 28 LEDs. @TTonk81, here's how I setup the case LEDs for ICUE control as an example for you...

I have the aforementioned O11D XL with a daisy-chained Phanteks Glacier D120 distro-plate (10 LEDs), so 38 LEDs in total. It's setup in ICUE as 4 x LED strips on the Commander Pro's LED port (using a PirateDog Tech RGB adapter) with a custom "Quick Lighting Zone" set to 38 LEDs that I use when defining the lighting layers.

Going to change out the Phanteks distro-plates (I have 2  x O11D XLs identically plumbed) for EK Quantum Volume FLT 120 D-RGB flat reservoirs this weekend that have I believe, 6 or 7 LEDs (will have to check) so I will have to drop my custom "Quick Lighting Zone" to 35 LEDs.

9 hours ago, c-attack said:

However, if you already have a CUE Link Hub + fans or AIO, that's the direction we're headed.

I do yes, all fans are iCUE Link fans and also the AIO. In time I'll be changing to a custom loop but will keep all the link fans.

The O11D XL has space for 2 thin fans on the back to provide active cooling to the drive bays, I am considering adding a couple of fans there so wouldnt want RGB and also they need to be thin, around 25mm if I recall so a basic fan is all that's needed.

19 minutes ago, BlaiseP said:

@c-attack the O11D XL has 28 LEDs. @TTonk81, here's how I setup the case LEDs for ICUE control as an example for you...

I have the aforementioned O11D XL with a daisy-chained Phanteks Glacier D120 distro-plate (10 LEDs), so 38 LEDs in total. It's setup in ICUE as 4 x LED strips on the Commander Pro's LED port (using a PirateDog Tech RGB adapter) with a custom "Quick Lighting Zone" set to 38 LEDs that I use when defining the lighting layers.

Going to change out the Phanteks distro-plates (I have 2  x O11D XLs identically plumbed) for EK Quantum Volume FLT 120 D-RGB flat reservoirs this weekend that have I believe, 6 or 7 LEDs (will have to check) so I will have to drop my custom "Quick Lighting Zone" to 35 LEDs.

I was considering a distro plate when I do the custom loop but had heard they don't perform as well as a standard res/pump. How do you find them?

6 hours ago, TTonk81 said:

I was considering a distro plate when I do the custom loop but had heard they don't perform as well as a standard res/pump. How do you find them?

The Phanteks Glacier D120's are passive distro-plates, I still use Singularity Computers Protium D150 pump/res combos. I haven't dabbled with distro-plates that include a pump so I can't comment on performance compared to traditional pump/res combos. Truthfully, I only use the distro-plates because it makes my runs neater. I used to have a Phanteks Glacier D140 (again, passive) distro-plate in a Phanteks Enthoo 719 case that allowed me to run the CPU and GPUs in parallel-loop mode rather than serial-loop mode, but I no longer use that case. Parallel vs. Serial loops – that's a debate best saved for another day!

Generally speaking a D5 pump is a D5 pump and all of them come from the same original manufacturer with variances in top design.  So the pump on any distro plate or flat reservoir should be the same specifications and flow as any other D5.  Whether or not the distro plate's serpentine design adds to total system flow restriction is another matter.  While it must increase resistance by it's very nature, it is likely less than the difference between a restrictive radiator or CPU block and a less restrictive one.  That means you simply need to up your pump speed when needed.  

*Interesting the strip is still only 28.  My "old" O11D was 30 from several years back. Must have been bad info in the other post claiming a rather high number.  Either way any number from 1-104 is doable without too much fuss.  

Edited by c-attack