Corsair Community

Need help with commander core / lighting node connection

Bentheck

So as the title says, I would need help with the connections between 2 different commander core and 2 lighting core nodes. I tried to find the information on the web but unfortunately, found nothing that was close to what I need.

Commander core origin:
1x from the 7000x case
1x from the H170i LCD

Here are my big questions, is there a special connector for the lighting core nodes on one of these commander core, if not, is there is there a preference as to which commander core I use to plug them in?

Here's the plan I made for myself, if you see anything wrong please tell me so i don't make a mess, thank you for your help!

Fans.thumb.jpg.700eddbfeeda1a6d02a89d38913adbc1.jpg

You don't connect Lighting Node Core or Lighting Node Pros to a Commander Core.  It's a separate controller for RGB control only and not necessary unless you have more than 12 fans.  You appear to be going for 14, so one will be needed.  

Commander Core - This is the one from H170i kit.  It is required as pump power is routed through the device from the PSU.  This is 6 direct connection PWM and RGB ports on opposite sides of the controller.

Commander XT - This is the one from the case.  Again 6 PWM+RGB ports, but it is not part of the AIO power chain and that wide connector is replaced with 2 temp sensors and a USB passthrough port that might be able to handle an extra lighting node core.  This is motherboard dependent.  

Based on your configuration diagram, you likely want the following:

1) Commander Core - Should keep this with the AIO fans to simplify and also help for non-software operational states.  That appears to be the 6 push-pull on the front.  That's all ports used.

2) Commander XT & Lighting Node Core (RGB only) - 4 side wall fans on one device.  Top 3 + rear on the other.  No clear advantage either way, but I might put the top+rear on the Com XT if you follow the PWM recommendation below.  Now you might be able to connect the Lighting Node Core to the system via the Com XT passthrough USB, but most users need a powered USB hub.  Lots of people sell them, typically with 4 USB 2.0 ports.  Needs a SATA connector for additional power.

PWM speed control

1) Commander Core & 6 front fans - All set. Direct 1:1 connections on this device.

2) Commander XT - 3 top + 1 rear fan

3) PWM hub - You should have one with the case for 6 fans.  Connects to 1 free port on the Com XT.  All 4 side fans connect to this and will run the same speed.  This is effectively a powered splitter.  

There are certainly other combinations you do as well for wiring length if needed.  All 6 front push pull fans can go on the PWM hub, then the side 4 fans fill out the rest for PWM control.  However, the above layout was made in an attempt to keep the PWM and RGB controls on like devices to help with day to day management.  You are going to need 3 RGB and 3 PWM controllers any which way.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for your help.

I have not seen that PWM hub listed anywhere for the 7000x though, so just in case, would the splitters work since all 3 front fans are all the same speed?

Nvm, it's probably the small thing next to the commander XT in the image, correct?
image_2024-03-21_210803120.png.6e2afc071b71e2256679ccfb095d2b56.png

Edited by Bentheck

Yes, that’s it. If it were not there or you prefer another type/style, these powered PWM hubs are inexpensive ($14-18 USD) and a better solution than the old two way splitters anytime you have to do more than 1 odd extra fan. They come in different capacities from 4-10 fans, although 6 seems to suit your goals. They also can be used for convenience in systems with large banks of fans. I run 2x480 radiators with two PWM hubs that connect back to a Commander. Instead of needing to change the fan profile 8 times, once for each fan, it is one click to change radiator A and one click to change radiator B. 

Edited by c-attack
  • Thanks 1