Corsair Community

ST100 is causing USB disconnects !

Hello Corsair community,

I hope this message finds you well.

I've recently resolved a persistent issue with USB disconnects on my system, and I wanted to share my findings with you all.

After thorough troubleshooting, I discovered that the Corsair ST100 device was the root cause.
The disruptions were severe enough to consider an RMA for the motherboard.
However, after weeks of testing without the ST100 connected, the issues vanished.

Reconnecting the ST100 brought back the USB disconnects.

For those curious about my system, I use an Asus B650E-I motherboard with BIOS version 1654, and the Corsair ST100 is running firmware version 0.04.106, and the ST100 was directly connected to an USB 3.0 port on the motherboard.

Additionally, besides its aesthetic appeal, the Corsair ST100 served a functional purpose in my setup. Its two USB ports were particularly convenient, as I used one to connect the wireless headphone adapter.
Losing this functionality was a notable drawback in addition to the visual aspect.

In light of the widespread nature of this issue, I believe it requires a comprehensive investigation on Corsair's part.
To demonstrate that this problem isn't isolated to my setup, I'll be attaching several links to forums where others have reported similar issues.

1st, 2nd.

As for my situation, what steps should I take to address my specific issue, and is there any solution currently available?

Best regards

USB Drop out.png

Mine had a faulty USB port on it. I had it do it on and off as well. If you try to wiggle the USB port is it loose? And if so, does it make the USB disconnect when moving it? I wished they would have made it recessed to give it more support. That is finally what happened to mine. Off to the trash it went. Hopefully, they will release a new one with better lighting, onboard memory, and some padding.

18 hours ago, KILLER_K said:

Mine had a faulty USB port on it. I had it do it on and off as well. If you try to wiggle the USB port is it loose? And if so, does it make the USB disconnect when moving it? I wished they would have made it recessed to give it more support. That is finally what happened to mine. Off to the trash it went. Hopefully, they will release a new one with better lighting, onboard memory, and some padding.

Hello !

The USB port is firm and nothing wiggles.

Also, the stand stay still in one place only and stood the same place from the day one, so not an cable/port issue here.

34 minutes ago, Vitalii89 said:

Hello !

The USB port is firm and nothing wiggles.

Also, the stand stay still in one place only and stood the same place from the day one, so not an cable/port issue here.

Miner stayed in one spot as well and developed that USB issue. I know AMD had the USB issues for a  long time. Not sure what one you are using. Try it on another device, laptop, etc. If nothing changes RMA it.

I forgot to mention. You can disable USB sleep, suspend, and see if that helps. I apologize for not being much help.

Edited by KILLER_K
Added on.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, KILLER_K said:

Miner stayed in one spot as well and developed that USB issue. I know AMD had the USB issues for a  long time. Not sure what one you are using. Try it on another device, laptop, etc. If nothing changes RMA it.

I forgot to mention. You can disable USB sleep, suspend, and see if that helps. I apologize for not being much help.

No worries man.

You cannot imagine how many different approaches I took to try to solve this issue, even the USB sleep that you mentioned.
OS was reinstalled a couple of times with different chipset driver, nothing helped, only physically disconnect help.

You must understand, that the issue is only present while gaming only, so this should exclude the port wiggle entirely from the problem.

Edited by Vitalii89

I understand. You will not get much help here to begin with. If you have any product problems people will sit back with pitchforks and fire waiting. It is just basic users trying to help others out. Or in my case, doing nothing it seems.

honestly wished we had some tech people in here from Corsair who helped and posted. I know we have the ticket people who help push it to get something resolved. But that is it in here. We all need to do better.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KILLER_K said:

I understand. You will not get much help here to begin with. If you have any product problems people will sit back with pitchforks and fire waiting. It is just basic users trying to help others out. Or in my case, doing nothing it seems.

honestly wished we had some tech people in here from Corsair who helped and posted. I know we have the ticket people who help push it to get something resolved. But that is it in here. We all need to do better.

You are a good man !

Thank you for your support !

• 1 month later...

I think I've found a workaround.

I have had this issue for ages, and gave up having the ST100 plugged in at all. it made my system unstable, crashed during critical game moments, watching videos, during work and all sorts.

I incrementally made some tweaks I've now had it plugged in for a few days without an issue.

Here are the steps I took to "stabilize" the device interacting with my PC on Windows 11:

1. Go to Device Manager, go to properties of each USB Serial Bus controller device Hub in turn, and disable the power saving option
  2. Go to System -> Sound All sound devices -> ST100 -> Properties, select "Don't Allow" (i.e. disable this device from list of devices)
  3. Go to iCue -> ST100 -> Equalizer -> Mute mic (icon below the volume slider)
  4. Go to iCue -> ST100 -> Lighting Effects -> Remove them (i.e. the lights are no longer on)

Doing the first three was not enough to fix the issue, which leads me to believe the issue is specific to either the lights, or the power consumed by running them. I've encountered this issue on multiple PCs, multiple versions of ST100 firmware, and run this device into a hub powered independently of my motherboard, so I imagine it's not a lack of supply. I should think it's either the driver or firmware.

If you were attached to the lights, then this will be disappointing, but if you just wanted a physical stand that's also a USB hub like myself, then it's not as bad.

I hadn't even considered the stand itself as an audio device, as I don't use that jack. So it was only when I carefully read the description of the Headphones device I noticed it represented the ST100 stand and not the Corsair USB headphones I tend to sit on it.

To emphasize this issue / help Corsair recognize & prioritize a proper fix, here are some other examples in the community of people that have had this issue:

There may be others.