Corsair Community

FW update of iCue Link HW though USB hub

I just finished a new build, and it's packed with iCue devices - multiple hubs into which are plugged tons of fans, pumps, and water blocks.

I start up iCue for the first time and it wants to update FW for the hubs and some of the devices, but per #2 below, it warns to first connect the devices directly to your system and not through hubs, which presumably means directly to your motherboard's USB headers.

image.png.fc0f4d292c7148eb52b9f6e98379ab0d.png

The problem with that for me is the only thing currently connected to my mobo's USB headers are USB hubs - I had so many devices that I needed multiple internal USB hubs to hook them all up. In truth, a stricture about not updating FW through a USB hub is not very surprising to me, but I surely wasn't thinking about it when I was setting all of this up.

This is an Obsidian 1000D build, so it came with a Commander Pro. The Pro's two USB cables are connected to the mobo's two USB headers. And then I connected two Corsair internal USB hubs to the Pro. Five iCue Link Hubs, two Corsair XD5 LCD pumps, a Corsair AX1600i PSU, and an XC7 elite LCD CPU block are connected to the Corsair USB hubs. 

(And right now, iCue is only seeing four of the five iCue hubs, so I'll have to figure that out as well)

Of course, I can get in there with a spare USB cable and cycle the devices through the mobo USB headers one or two at a time to update the FW.... but yuck.  And even if I do that now, the thought of having to do it every time I update FW....

Hence, my question is: has anyone pulled the trigger on an update of a link hub, pump, or CPUe block through an internal USB  hub (in my case, there'd be two hubs, the pro and the hub that attaches to it, between the mobo USB pins and the device being updated) How'd it go? And has anyone bricked a device if it failed?

Thanks!

You only need to worry about this if you are unable to update the FW. If for some reason it won’t complete, you can temporarily connect the device directly to the motherboard. Most users have hubs in some way or update mice through the KB pass through, etc. The more common problem when updating is other software programs getting in the way, whether it’s anti-virus or other rgb programs trying to grab control when CUE lets go.