Corsair Community

Need help with controlling fans/XD5 Pump

Leeco
Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

I have 5 LL fans and 1 XD5 pump installed in the 6, 4 pin ports on the commander XT. Nothing is showing for the 6th port though when I run the wizard, which is where the pump is installed. I have read on other threads that the port needs to be changed to 4-pin in the settings however I cant seem to find where to edit anything about pin configurations or any sort of settings like that. I only see RGB stuff. In the cooling tab, I tried making a custom profile however still only the 5 fans are showing. Any advice? Thanks. 

59 minutes ago, Leeco said:

I have read on other threads that the port needs to be changed to 4-pin in the settings

That is for the Commander Pro.  The Commander Core/XT is PWM only, so no need for the 12v/PWM check and thus no setting switch.  However, it also turns off the fan port if thinks nothing is there and that can sometimes be problematic.  

While you can run the RGB Wizard from CUE, the controller needs a full power cycle to force it to redetect PWM ports.  A restart won't do it and if you use "Windows Fast Start", you never actually turn off your PC at all.  Try shutting down the PC and then flip the PSU off.  Hold down the case power button for 15 seconds to drain the remaining power.  Then flip the PSU back on and start normally.  That should put everything into "power loss" mode and force the controller to do a full check on each fan header.  

• Solution

Connect the XD5 tachometer line to any available motherboard fan header.  See if you get a reading there.  If not, then there is a defect in the cable or unit and you'll need to replace it.  If does read there, try a different port besides number 6 on the Commander XT.  

Edited by c-attack

I do not see any change on ICue with the wire plugged into the CPUfan header. Just to be sure, the tach. wire is the 4-pin connector that has only 2 wires leading into it, correct? 

I should also note that I can not see any change in fan speeds when I click around on the cooling profiles. Monitoring the RPM of the 5 fans and changing from the 'quiet' profile to my custom, 100% rpm profile, does not change the RPM. 

---OK So I have fixed the issue and also discovered a few things. First of all, ICue is entirely unintuitive. I was trying to change the cooling profile by selecting a fan and then clicking on a preset. I also assumed that when making a new preset or editing an existing one, the fans that it applied to would be one of the configurations. I see now that the lower half of the page (presets) and the top half (fan monitors) are two completely separate things. To adjust the cooling behavior you select the profile from the drop down menu on each fan. This is kind of a strange way to do it. This means that if I want to change from super speed mode to quiet night time mode that I need to select each fan and change the setting individually. The way it should be is have the profile apply the behavior to each fan that is configured within the profile so it only has to be 1 change. 

Also, for some reason moving the pump to the port1 on the XT is now making it visible in ICue. 

Thank you c-attack for I would not have gotten here without your advice!

1 hour ago, Leeco said:

Just to be sure, the tach. wire is the 4-pin connector that has only 2 wires leading into it, correct? 

Correct.

15 minutes ago, Leeco said:

To adjust the cooling behavior you select the profile from the drop down menu on each fan. This is kind of a strange way to do it.

CUE 3 worked in the way you were trying to do it.  When they changed that going into CUE 4, I spent 6 months clicking the wrong place before finally unlearning the old behavior.  However, it does make it easy to tweak large numbers of fans at one with an edit of the current cooling profile.  that's probably what you want to do now.

Not sure why the Com XT didn't want to detect in port #6, but we've seen that a few times before.  It should work in any of the 1-6 ports and no specific number is required.  That was an original constraint in the early days of Hydro X in order to use the Hydro X curves.  As long as the fan works in #6, I don't see any reason to RMA it.  

Those plain Quiet/Balanced/Extreme profiles are not for you and Corsair frustratingly do not show you the data points on any of the presets.  The Hydro X curves are a bit soft for my liking, but they do work.  Regardless, everyone has a different baseline temperature unique to their room and case, so no reason not to set one up for yourself.

1) Click on the yellow + button in the cooling tab.  It looks like you already have at least one custom profile.  Click any of the shape tools in the lower right corner of the new graph to give you something to work with. 

2) Change the "sensor" to Commander XT Temp 1 or wherever the temp probe from the XD5 is located.

3) Looks like 25-27C is your normal baseline for now.  Set quiet fans speeds in the 600-750 range or whatever you prefer for normal desktop behavior.  If this is a CPU only loop, you might go up 4-6C on average in coolant temp.  Set something comfortable like 1000-1200 rpm.  No reason to blast the fans to lower the CPU a meager 2C more.  If you have a GPU in the loop, then it likely will go up more than that.  Find your normal peak coolant temp value when under load.  Typically gaming is the highest for any system because of increased GPU heat --- in the loop or increase in ambient case temp for air cooled.  Set an acceptable fan speed for that value.  You will be in between those points 99% of the time.  

Edited by c-attack