Corsair Community

Case and rad fan curves

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

Hi all,

I want to set a decent fan curve for my case and rad fans. I have the new icue link H100i 240 AIO. 

Rather than setting the fans to the CPU, I want to focus on the coolant temp. 

But:

1) what is the temp range for AIO coolant? I.e. min / max?

2) what would a decent curve look like - could you provide an example?

Thank you!

• Solution

1) It varies but the typical range is usually in the 20-40C zone or about +4-7C above your room temp at idle and then perhaps as much as +10C more than that when gaming.  For most users with a moderate or larger GPU, the gaming will cause the highest coolant temps because of the additional case heat created.  The internal case temperature is also the minimum possible coolant temperature.  It usually makes more sense to program your fan curves for these targets -- if that reflects your normal use.  Things like a CPU stress test are never random or likely frequent and you can set a fixed fan speed when performing those types of deliberate operations.  Coolant temp rise for a CPU only stress test varies with the test and CPU, but +8C is typical for a 240mm with moderate fan speed.

2) You want a relatively flat zone around the normal cool idle temperature with some leeway on either side so you don't get speed shifts because the room is +2C warmer in the afternoon vs morning, etc.  Next time you boot up, just do normal tasks for 5-10 min and check the coolant temp.  That's your baseline.  The next point to determine is your max liquid temp when gaming or whatever else you do that stresses the PC.  Then you set the highest fan speed you are willing to tolerate for noise and assign it to that temp point.  When in doubt, always choose based on noise or sound quality.  +-100 rpm will make no difference in cooling effect but can be just that little bit too much for peaceful enjoyment.  All the points in between those two can be a smooth line.  Save the last two points for some type of audible max fan blast warning.  Something like 50-55C=2400 rpm.  That should be well out of reach but should you ever hear the fans come on like a train when playing, you know something is amiss.  

The pic below is from my Commander Pro so it won't be exactly the same as the LINK AIO, but it works the same.  One thing to note is the CUE Hub's have some very wacky presets right now.  They seem to be designed for CPU temp (a terrible control variable) but then default to QX Fan temp, which may or may not work depending on whether the fan is intake or exhaust.  You'll have to do it manually and make sure you change the "sensor" to H100i CUE LINK AIO Temp.  The blue zone is idle and then a simple color progression up through the temps you are likely to see.  Everyone is different here, so someone in a northern latitude is going to be low on the scale and someone in the Tropics will be 30-45C zone year round.  There also is some bias with radiator location and case design.  Noise suppression cases trap heat and may cause higher coolant temps.  Top radiator placements are slightly warmer because of the natural case air temp balance.  If you front mounted your radiator and that is the only source of intake air, then we need to do something different.  

Screenshot(476).thumb.png.2fa5628997925e713fc327b8ecd9f491.png

120mm fans are somewhat effective in the 700-800 rpm range but the 1000-1300 rpm range is where you get the most dissipation vs noise.  You likely want to be in that zone for most of your gaming.  Also, don't forget your CPU likely only uses 100-150W at most during most gaming, which isn't all that much to get rid off.  If you run the top fans at extreme speeds, you may pull more heat through the radiator as opposed to the rear exhaust or rear venting which is the preferable place for it to go.  

Edited by c-attack