Corsair Community

Is my H60 pump broken?

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

So I have a H60 cpu cooling system that has been running perfectly for almost 10 years. A few weeks ago I started getting a CPU overheating error at startup. I removed the cooler and reapplied new thermal grease but that did not solve the issue. In BIOS the fan header that the pump is connected to is not detected as active. I have tried powering up the pump separately and checking the PWM pin on my oscilloscope. The pump is not emitting any noticeable hum, but there are a couple of faint clicks repeating every other second or so. On the oscilloscope I can see a PWM signal appearing in bursts with about the same timing. So my question is if you think the pump is broken or not? I am not sure how it is supposed to sound when it is working and given that it does give out something on the PWM pin it at least isn't completely dead. Any ideas on this would be helpful!

Thanks!

• Solution

I'd say it's at the end of a long life.  Clicking is common for mechanical failure.  Lack of mechanical sound in a 10 year old small pump is troubling.  Probably time to go shopping.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, c-attack said:

I'd say it's at the end of a long life.  Clicking is common for mechanical failure.  Lack of mechanical sound in a 10 year old small pump is troubling.  Probably time to go shopping.  

Thank you for your input. I think you are right, it probably has met its demise. Happy it lasted for as long as it did though. Guess I'll start looking for a new one.