Corsair Community

Strange Temps on H100i RGB ELITE

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

Hi, 

I've recently built a new machine and its my first time using an AIO so not sure if this is perhaps just normal.

My temps seem strange in that at complete idle the CPU package is sitting around 46° but as soon as any load is applied it jumps up almost instantly to 65°-69°. Even a small load of installing a game on Steam jumps up to these temps.

However, when stressing the CPU the temperature never exceeds 85°.

My CPU is a Ryzen 7 7800X3D.

I've tried reseating the cooler and confirmed the thermal paste has good coverage. Are these kind of erratic temps normal for AIO's?

• Solution

You may want to look for user impressions on the 7800 X3D, but his is pretty typical for any modern CPU and they are very reactive with a lot of cores.  No matter what you use for a cooling method, you can't prevent the CPU temp jump when voltage is applied underneath.  The CPU is cooled conductively.  The rest of the cooler is about dumping that heat somewhere else.  A larger or more effective CPU cooler will let you go longer or use less fan speed before the CPU temp reaches Temp X, but it can't prevent the original event.  

More concerning would be if the game load temps jumped to 90C and a stress test hit the max immediately or if you see really low 20-30C temp and then spikes to 80C when opening a browsers.  The CPU temp always will rise and fall with the voltage.  A 20-25C bump from idle to "working" seem about right for AMD and it's about the same on my 13900K.  The difference between game loading/playing and full stress also seems about right.  AMD CPUs always idle higher than Intel and have lower maximum temperature thresholds, but that does not hinder their actual performance.  The other thing that make this appear unusual is a lot of games now use complex instructions in their loading, specifically when they are assessing what hardware you are using.  I usually see my highest CPU temp of the session when the game loads, not when actually playing.  

Edited by c-attack