Corsair Community

Addressing Red Blinking Concerns with iCUE Link

• Corsair Employee

Hello Everyone,

We've been closely monitoring an issue users have been experiencing with their iCUE LINK RGB AIO coolers and QX RGB Fans.

The Concern: Some users have reported that their system's RGB lighting starts to intermittently blink red while gaming or under normal tasks.

The Cause: After investigation, we believe the behavior is associated with the System Hub firmware over-current protection (OCP). Essentially, the System Hub's OCP feature can kick in under an over-current event. However, in our assesment the behavior is a false positive—indicating neither an actual over-current event nor hardware malfunction. Consequently, our firmware team has been hard at work developing a beta build that effectively addresses this situation which you will be able to download from the link below. As a reminder only apply this Beta FW if you are currently experiencing this blinking issue. This beta firmware is a stepping stone towards a fully refined solution, which will be distributed through an official iCUE firmware update when ready. Our intention is to provide a prompt resolution for those currently grappling with this issue.

We've published a step-by-step article on how to manually update the firmware and included the firmware to be downloaded here:

Should you still encounter persistent Red Blinking problems after applying the firmware, we encourage you to reach out to our dedicated support team via the following link: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter. Our goal is to continue our commitment to enhancing the iCUE LINK experience and our team is hard at work ensuring we make this the best possible experience for everyone. 

UPDATE: FW 1.6.336 is officially live! You can update to the official release via iCUE, you can read the official release notes here: https://forum.corsair.com/release-notes/controllers/icue-link-system-hub/16336-r81/

• Like 1

This seems to have fixed the blinking red, but now when the blinking would normally occur my system locks up and I have to manually power it off and turn back on to recover. That never happened before. Has happened in Path of Exile and Starfield.

I had this happen in Starfield only when I selected "Transfer" into the weapon rack located in the Lodge basement where the crafting benches are located. It was the weapon rack located between the weapon workbench (to the right) and the spacesuit workbench (to the left). After I opened and then selected "Q" to open my inventory then the all my fans and AIO would start to flash red. I tried this several times and had the same each time...

I applied the firmware patch as described by Corsair Mars and all looks to work as intended now.

Just a note; Make sure you apply the downloaded firmware patch at the bottom of the "Step-by-step" manually update link provided above, and do not unzip the file, just select and it will work. Also don't do the "force update" as this just reloads the same one you had.

So, again this did work for me so far....will update if I get it again.

My system contains; CORSAIR iCUE Link H150i RGB Liquid CPU Cooler - 360mm AIO - QX120 RGB Fans, 3 more QX120 RGB fans and 3 QX 140 RGB fans. I am using one hub with the three 120s on one input and the H150i and 3 140s on the other input. Also, when I first installed I had them all on one input but it indicated I was overloading the one input so I divided them as I just indicated.

Hope this helps anyone with this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't even install the firmware "patch" because the update to 1.3.302 prompt is blocking it. Then while trying to update the system hub disappears until I quit ICUE and relaunch. Even after all that it still fails to update. I've asked around if there was a way to manually update ICUE through its installation files and I've got nothing. I was hoping for a better experience after such a purchase but I suppose as of now that was a mistake on my end.

• Like 1

I have attempted to download the beta firmware via the step-by-step guide. Nothing.

I saw an updated firmware that was released and when attempting to install, the device just get's removed from my list and unable to confirm/verify. When I restart, it asks me to install the update again.

I submitted a thread to support

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 7:26 PM, thenameiszac said:

UPDATE:

After combing through Task Manager and ending all tasks pertaining to my motherboard - MSI, I was able to get the firmware updated. 

Tested with gaming for 2 hours, and lights have not gone to blinking red. I assume this has resolved the issue.

What tasks did you terminate? and you performed a firmware update?

image.png.aa05830a933f79f7b540dc817bdf0e8d.png

Are we on the same page?

Why did you remove the "step-by-step guide" to manually install the patch? That page now 404's.

iCue tells me all of my firmware and software is up-to-date and the red blinking is happening constantly when playing Baldur's Gate 3.

image.png.bd1d1e06efd68cb9c8a81de0d8661775.png

image.png.04cd68d01dbc02630c6d0209599e68d0.png

What file am I supposed to download to fix this? Why is there not a simple URL that can  be pasted in this thread? Why is it 1.6.336 when all of my installed firmware is version 5.x? What device is it supposed to install to?

The lack of clarity here is extremely frustrating.

Edited by gummidemilo

I agree, there is no step-by-step guide, and the light blinks red in almost any game unless I put it to maximum fan speed, I'm waiting on an update, but to no avail, maybe we'll need to open separate support tickets and tell-off the support again.

• Like 1

@Corsair Mars @thenameiszac

Any updates you guys?

• 1 month later...

I just installed a whole new LINK system.The System Hub is running the latest firmware version available (1.6.336) and I am running the latest version of iCue (5.8.130), and this issue is still occurring when I'm playing Cyberpunk. Blinks red for about 2 minutes, then goes back to normal for 10-15 minutes, then triggers again. I've submitted a support case # 2006612329.

Corsair Link Red Alert Pump Block.jpeg

On 8/30/2023 at 8:25 PM, Corsair Mars said:

UPDATE: FW 1.6.336 is officially live! You can update to the official release via iCUE, you can read the official release notes here: https://forum.corsair.com/release-notes/controllers/icue-link-system-hub/16336-r81/

Hello, can you find a software solution in this topic in the next update ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

i have a question to the latest 1.6.336 Update :

When i download it i cannot see and control my fans anymore it just shows the ram. What can i do?

Edited by 33.E8

• 2 months later...

This problem is still occuring on LINK System hub version 1.8.369 and Software 5.12.97.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still have this issue.  Each time I play WoW it will start within 20 min max.  Other games it could take 1 hour to not at all that day.  Updated to all latest firmware and still having the issues.  I have two link boxes in my system that separate the AIO and 10 total 120s. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I cannot manage to find the winrar files anywhere, could you help ? 

My fans start to blink red as well, understood it's a firmware problem. Uninstalled ICUE and installed it back, did the various updates back and forth.

Everybody seems to resolve the issue by accessing the winrar files and then update the ICUE link software with it. But I searched everywhere it is nowhere to be found.

Please help or advise, thank you!

On 8/30/2023 at 8:25 PM, Corsair Mars said:

Hello Everyone,

We've been closely monitoring an issue users have been experiencing with their iCUE LINK RGB AIO coolers and QX RGB Fans.

The Concern: Some users have reported that their system's RGB lighting starts to intermittently blink red while gaming or under normal tasks.

The Cause: After investigation, we believe the behavior is associated with the System Hub firmware over-current protection (OCP). Essentially, the System Hub's OCP feature can kick in under an over-current event. However, in our assesment the behavior is a false positive—indicating neither an actual over-current event nor hardware malfunction. Consequently, our firmware team has been hard at work developing a beta build that effectively addresses this situation which you will be able to download from the link below. As a reminder only apply this Beta FW if you are currently experiencing this blinking issue. This beta firmware is a stepping stone towards a fully refined solution, which will be distributed through an official iCUE firmware update when ready. Our intention is to provide a prompt resolution for those currently grappling with this issue.

We've published a step-by-step article on how to manually update the firmware and included the firmware to be downloaded here:

Should you still encounter persistent Red Blinking problems after applying the firmware, we encourage you to reach out to our dedicated support team via the following link: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter. Our goal is to continue our commitment to enhancing the iCUE LINK experience and our team is hard at work ensuring we make this the best possible experience for everyone. 

I am unable to acces the winrar files to update the ICUE link software. Updated ICUE link software to latest version but my fans are still blinking red and it is a brand new build.

Please provide assistance, thank you!

• 4 weeks later...