Corsair Community

Which AIO cpu cooler to get?

Chaosfox89

Generally you want the largest that fits your available space.  For most people that will be a 240mm (H100), 280mm (H115), or 360mm (H150) radiator.  This will be determined by your case.  The smaller the radiator surface area, the faster you need to run the fans to get the same level of cooling as a larger radiator that can do the same or better with lower speeds and noise.  

Within the Corsair line, there is one large divergence and then some smaller technical differences among different versions of the higher end coolers.  The basic H100 "X" type coolers typically do not come with extra controllers, software integration or direct RGB control.  These are less expensive with less hardware and you are meant to use your motherboard's resources to control them.  The other AIOs are all in the "i" group indicating the AIO has CUE software integration.  These coolers come with more hardware, usually have RGB fans and separate controllers, and will cost more than the X AIOs with less hardware.  

Given the glass top and somewhat unique 200mm front fans on that case, my preference would be to use a 360mm radiator in the motherboard side wall as exhaust.  That should make for relaxed cooling without the need to blast the fans or compromise the general design intent of the case.

From within the 360mm choices, they will be H150i models with some suffix added to the end.  The first choice you likely need to make is whether you are getting on board with the new CUE Link series that just launched.  This is the interconnected single hub kind of system every one is rolling out now.  If you don't have an interest in that, then the prices on the prior model H150i Elite Cappellix XT or standard Elite Capeliix are likely to decline.  

One of the best AIO cooler, tested by many youtube reviewers is from another brand. I do not know if we can talk about other brands on Corsair forums btw.

Due to its radiator thickness it does inteferes with most motherboard mosftet heatsink if you do not have enough space to install it on top.

It comes in 240, 280, 360, 420mm with plain and ARGB versions.

My preference is still the use the side wall for the CPU radiator.  That leaves the front fans unencumbered to blow air down your motherboard, RAM, and GPU.  If you put a 420mm radiator on the front, you will then be reliant on the side wall fans for additional intake.  While that puts more air in the case for purposes of volume exchange, it won't do anything for direct cooling of things like m.2 heatsinks, chipset, RAM, or other components.  It also will increase the intake air temperature by 4-8C because that is what you're doing with the CPU waste heat.  There is very little difference in cooling between a 360mm and 420mm at low to medium speeds and both are plenty for an overclocked 13700K.  

If it really fits, that’s just fine. However, be cautious. Most cases have clear compromises when it comes to 140mm fans, whether it’s being obstructed by the 120mm mounting rails or pushing into other zones and limiting what can be mounted. I’d be especially careful about what happens with 140mm fans on the front and 140mm on the side at the same time. In most cases this would be an automatic collision but perhaps the native 200mm fans mandated a wider front rail than most cases have. That’s not something I can see in pictures and you need to have the case on hand to check. 

140mm fans are larger and move more air than a 120mm but also make more noise at the same speed. When you adjust for noise, a 360mm radiator at 1300 rpm will give you the same noise and cooling level as 3x140 at 1000 rpm. For cooling purposes, you won’t see much difference between a 360 and a 420 on a cpu only cooling application where the watts are going to be 250W or less. However, if you have 140s in front and a 140 rear, I can see the appeal in sticking with that size. 

Edited by c-attack

The front fans mount in the front of the case. You have to remove the front cover to install them and they screw in from inside the case itself. So I don't think there will be any collision issues.