Corsair Community

Corrosion on CPU block

plextor

This is after one year of use. I've only ever used Corsair's own coolant or distilled water & a water cooling additive. I'm assuming I still screwed something up for it to have gotten this bad - and you can see where the gasket didn't keep integrity (no water leakage, but the CPU block had a very small air leak).

I also noticed on my radiators and all the fittings have a small amount of white residue on the threads.

What's going on?

spacer.png

well, that was a water leak.. maybe too small to drip, but enough to share in the copper wreckage fest. It can happen if the o-ring was installed twisted, or a dust spec, or a ton of other reasons.. I hope it's not the copper that corroded from under the o-ring, that would be rather extreme

green outside, white inside, you had algae developping on the leak which is normal, it's outside, but inside the white residue seems to be typical of the corsair coolant breaking down. Every failure of that one that we see on the forum seems to give white residue for some reason.

Ususally when people mess up making their own coolant with additives, it ends up in corrosion, not in gunk build up, but here, the copper seems to be just mildly discolored under the white mess, it's hard to see on a small photo.