Corsair Community

do i need a commander core xt?

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

So, this is my first rgb build and this whole thing has me a little confused. This is what I got..

a corsair 4000x case

gigabyte b650 aorus elite ax motherboard

corsair h100x rgb elite cooler.

I've already got the 6 case fans plugged into the node core that came with the case. So to control this 7th device (leds on cooler) is what I need a commander core xt? From what I read the xt isn't compatible with all my SP fans so I would just leave the fans in the core and plug the cooler led cable into the xt?

• Solution

All your fans are compatible with the Commander XT. Your 4000X comes with SP-Elite fans and those are set as “8 led fan series”. The same fans come with the H100x RGB. They are very different than the original 2016 SP-RGB fans with 4 LEDs. Those are not compatible with other Corsair RGB products and were discontinued years ago. 

Since the radiator fans are connected to the lighting node core with the others, they will operate in that group.  That leaves the pump LEDs.  It is intended to connect to your motherboard RGB 5v header.  However, there has been a general issue with this and there is/was some type of problem with the adapter cable.  You need to contact Corsair Support if your cable does not work.  Possible 3rd party adapter will work as well. 

The Commander XT should be able to manage the RGB control for the pump, but that’s kind of an expensive solution with minimal upside. The one positive is if you want CUE fan speed control over the fans. The Commander XT would replace the lighting node core as the RGB controller in addition to becoming a PWM controller. 

Page 22 of your manual for a close up view.  

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b650-ae-series_e_1101_v1.pdf?v=cda9c36c6ea9fe13e74a427bcd197645

It's in the lower left corner of the board and unfortunately right next to the 12v RGB header.  12v RGB has 4 pins.  5v addressable RGB has 3 pin with one missing from the middle.  We can't agree on a name for 5v and it gets called "addressable RGB (ARGB)", Digital RGB (D-RGB) or simply just 5v RGB.  Make sure you connect to the 3 pin addressable RGB header.  

However, as stated above it may not work right out of the box and there may be some value for you to use a Commander XT for speed control and to eliminate the need for the MB RGB software altogether.  

Well I went ahead and connected it and its not coming on. I did see the sticky like you have mentioned so I guess I'll go ahead and contact support. Thank you so much for the help! I would have been completely lost on that whole rgb header thing without you.