Corsair Community

H100i elite capellix AIO pump/iCue RPM erratic

Go to solution Solved by DivideByZer0,

This has me stumped (I opened a ticket over the weekend.  Installed H100i elite capellix onto Asus TUF Z590 mobo.  Installation went smoothly.  RGB control works. Initially I thought this was overheating, as the RPM for the fan seem to bounce between 0-2700 RPM constantly.  Then suddenly the RPM jumps to unrealistic numbers (10k+)(along with some temperature spiking across the CPU and water temp.. thinking the pump either stopped or hit an air bubble?).  I tilted the machine to ensure no air bubbles in the block.

I spent most of the weekend doing trouble shooting, seems like everything is getting power since the lights and pump work. Then I noticed (in bios) I could actually hear the AIO pump turning on and off at a fairly stable rhythm (about 1hz, 50% duty cycle). I exchanged the unit for a fresh one from the retailer, exact same problem.

Any ideas here? My next step is to try using my other USB header, but that shouldn't make a difference, right? If the CC is controlling the pump it should at least be running at constant speed?

I tried 3 different 6 pins for the SATA power, tried reseating the connection between the CC and the pump. Tried reseating the USB connector.  Updated BIOS.. updated iCue. I'm starting to run out of ideas

Update - I had my fans connected to the mobo, tried plugging them into the commander pro. Realizing that I can't control fan speeds either. But the RGB works.

Update - Still no word from customer support.  I think it's a bad commander core at this point, I noticed that familiar smell of burnt electronics when I was looking at it today.  Weird to get two failures in a row though... 

On 5/30/2023 at 6:45 PM, DivideByZer0 said:

could actually hear the AIO pump turning on and off at a fairly stable rhythm (about 1hz, 50% duty cycle). I

On 5/30/2023 at 6:45 PM, DivideByZer0 said:

the CC is controlling the pump it should at least be running at constant speed?

Yes, it should and any kind of pump speed cycling like that is worrying. So is the small of burnt electronics, plastic, etc. There is no way for you to alter the speed from the bios, so it’s not an issue there. Power delivery on that model is complicated and passes through the Commander Core. That wide 22+ pin connector on the side can be very finicky. Normal procedure is full power down, PSU off, disconnect that and reconnect lining up the white stripe. However, I think you’ve already gone down that road and two units in a row is concerning.  The RGB would be affected too if there were some type of power cycling. 

In CUE, can you access the AIO controls?

@c-attackYes, oddly enough RGB controls work fine in iCue.  My RBG cooler works great for RBG! Just not the cooling part.  The fans were working through the CC as well when I tested them (although I moved them back to the mobo for safety). I really don't trust the CC at this point.

Edited by DivideByZer0

9 hours ago, c-attack said:

In CUE, can you access the AIO controls?

Sorry I didn't answer this more directly, the pump is unresponsive when I try to alter RPM in cue. Just bounces between 0-2700 RPM

OK, that reads like a pump motor issue or a problem on the Commander Core to pump PWM line.  I suppose in theory it could be the socket connection on the Commander Core, but more likely the pump motor or PWM line itself.  There are some frequently reported issues with that cooler.  This is not one of them.  There are unresponsive pumps with red (!), but they run steady.  There are false pump fail notices, but the cooling still works fine.  This one seems like a true physical issue.  

You can wait for Corsair Support and it exchange it directly through them.  However, if you have friendly exchange options with the purchase vendor, that is likely the faster route.  That also removes isolating Com Core vs pump motor origins as the entire thing will be swapped out.  No need to precisely identify.  

Edited by c-attack

@c-attackBTW thanks for your help. I've seen your SN come up a lot in searches... One last thing..

For the tach cable, it's a lot more convenient for me to plug it into the dedicated AIO header on the z590 mobo.... Like (and I know this is a dumb question) ... That .. shouldn't matter... Right? I previously had my rad fans connected to CPU fan, so this was never a thing...

Edited by DivideByZer0

No, it's definitely not the tach cable.  That thing's sole purpose is to satisfy the standard motherboard "CPU boot protection" feature that won't let you boot without something connected to CPU fan (unless you disable it).  The real purpose is in the event of actual electronic or mechanical full failure, the BIOS should throw the CPU boot error at you second after you power on.  However, it has no bearing on actual use and if you snipped it off with a pair of scissors, the AIO would continue running exactly as set.  The true PWM and power cables for the pump are bundled in with the other connectors on that wide Com Core to pump cable.  

58 minutes ago, c-attack said:

No, it's definitely not the tach cable.  That thing's sole purpose is to satisfy the standard motherboard "CPU boot protection" feature that won't let you boot without something connected to CPU fan (unless you disable it).  The real purpose is in the event of actual electronic or mechanical full failure, the BIOS should throw the CPU boot error at you second after you power on.  However, it has no bearing on actual use and if you snipped it off with a pair of scissors, the AIO would continue running exactly as set.  The true PWM and power cables for the pump are bundled in with the other connectors on that wide Com Core to pump cable.  

Okay.  I picked up #3 this afternoon.  UGH.  Issue persists.  I'm now back to suspecting firmware or software.  When I change the pump speed I can actually hear the pitch change, but it is still throttling between 0-whatever RPM.  Maybe this is a good thing?  Reinstalling iCue and forcing firmware updates did nothing though

• Solution
3 hours ago, c-attack said:

It was the SATA cable.  This is a little embarrasing, but fixed.