Corsair Community

Help me choose the right commander core/core xt/pro

eftapsixos

Hi there i would really need some help from you guys.
Im building a new system,i bought the h170i elite capellix which comes with "Commander core" included in the box.
Im thinking of getting 4 more fans and have the above choises :
4 x 1 corsair
ML140 RGB ELITE Premium or
2 x 1 ML140 RGB ELITE Premium + 1 x 2 pack ML140 RGB ELITE Premium which comes with iCUE Lighting Node CORE. (getting the pack instead of 4 x 1 is 20 euro more)

I would like to control them all in icue at the same time and im wondering having the commander core from the aio what else i need to buy to get them working.
Will it work if i get the cheaper 4x 1 + a commander core xt-pro (which one) or get the pack + one of the three core/core xt/pro.
Dont really understand what the lighting node core does and if its needed.
Will i be able to chain connect the core that i have with the second controller not wasting needed ports on my mobo?
Your advice please.
Thanks in advance

From what i understand i should get the fans seperately without the lighting node and buy a commander core xt.
I then can connect the core xt with the core without needing anything else.
But can i connect the two to each other and have all the functions in the icue software?

Corsair controllers do not do device to device direct communication. If you connect a device to the usb passthrough on a Commander Pro or XT it’s like using a usb “splitter” and you’ve stacked two devices on the same line. A lot of recent motherboards do not like this and you’ll have trouble with device recognition. Most users will need a powered usb hub when going beyond two devices since 2 USB 2.0 ports is the most on a board. You will not be able to connect a Commander Core into the passthrough of a Commander XT. 

If you don’t have any RGB lighting hubs from prior Corsair RGB fan purchases, the Commander XT is a better option than the Commander Pro. It will be like your Commander Core with 6 direct PWM and RGB ports on each side. Be aware some users have difficulty when attempting to connect the Commander Core, Commander XT, and LCD pump top at the same time. The PCs top and Com Core are meant to share a line. Some motherboards will not accept that. Sometimes the powered hub above is enough. Other users needed to use a usb 3->2 conversion to get the third device recognized. The solution is very motherboard specific. 

There is a second option. Instead of adding the Commander XT for effectively 2 PWM ports, look for a powered PWM hub. This is a circuit board splitter with a SATA connection for its own power reducing load on the Commander Core PWM controller. You run one connector from PWM hub to Com Core fan header. All fans on the hub run at the same speed. This is good solution for the three radiator fans or any other bank of three fans where there is no need for individual fan control. That leaves 5 open PWM headers on the Com Core for your 5 remaining fans. In this option you get at least one of the multipacks of ML Elite 140 so you get the Lighting Node Core RGB controller. Unfortunately the 140 twin pack never seems to get a discount at retailers like the 120mm pack, but that 20 Euro more is going to be less than a Commander XT. Also because the Lighting Node Core is a simpler device than the XT it typically does not have the same recognition issues. You may be able to skip powered usb hubs or other usb solutions making this the cheaper option. 

The closer you are to 12 fans or if using mixed fan types, the more I recommend the XT. At 8 fans of the same type, I would likely use the LNCore + PWM hub method. Both choices offer equal control of RGB lighting. If you have a 7000D/RGB case, you may already have a PWM hub in back. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 3:15 PM, c-attack said:

Corsair controllers do not do device to device direct communication. If you connect a device to the usb passthrough on a Commander Pro or XT it’s like using a usb “splitter” and you’ve stacked two devices on the same line. A lot of recent motherboards do not like this and you’ll have trouble with device recognition. Most users will need a powered usb hub when going beyond two devices since 2 USB 2.0 ports is the most on a board. You will not be able to connect a Commander Core into the passthrough of a Commander XT. 

If you don’t have any RGB lighting hubs from prior Corsair RGB fan purchases, the Commander XT is a better option than the Commander Pro. It will be like your Commander Core with 6 direct PWM and RGB ports on each side. Be aware some users have difficulty when attempting to connect the Commander Core, Commander XT, and LCD pump top at the same time. The PCs top and Com Core are meant to share a line. Some motherboards will not accept that. Sometimes the powered hub above is enough. Other users needed to use a usb 3->2 conversion to get the third device recognized. The solution is very motherboard specific. 

There is a second option. Instead of adding the Commander XT for effectively 2 PWM ports, look for a powered PWM hub. This is a circuit board splitter with a SATA connection for its own power reducing load on the Commander Core PWM controller. You run one connector from PWM hub to Com Core fan header. All fans on the hub run at the same speed. This is good solution for the three radiator fans or any other bank of three fans where there is no need for individual fan control. That leaves 5 open PWM headers on the Com Core for your 5 remaining fans. In this option you get at least one of the multipacks of ML Elite 140 so you get the Lighting Node Core RGB controller. Unfortunately the 140 twin pack never seems to get a discount at retailers like the 120mm pack, but that 20 Euro more is going to be less than a Commander XT. Also because the Lighting Node Core is a simpler device than the XT it typically does not have the same recognition issues. You may be able to skip powered usb hubs or other usb solutions making this the cheaper option. 

The closer you are to 12 fans or if using mixed fan types, the more I recommend the XT. At 8 fans of the same type, I would likely use the LNCore + PWM hub method. Both choices offer equal control of RGB lighting. If you have a 7000D/RGB case, you may already have a PWM hub in back. 

thanks a lot for your reply
I have ordered a commander core xt to go with the core and the mobo i have ordered (asus strix x670e-e) has 3 usb2 ports on it so i guess i will not have any problems,will connect each of the controller in one port.I will revisit this post when its time to set up the pc.
Thanks!!