Corsair Community

4000D Watercooling Build

SarahTr

Hi! 

I'm looking for help with a watercooling build that I want to do. I have never done this before but I do have a basic plan in place for what I want.

As you can see by the included computer specs, I do not have a video card that I can watercool. It is brand new so I won't be replacing it anytime soon for one that can be watercooled but I do plan to eventually do that. I did reach out to Bykski and after sending them the requested pictures, they said that the board used in my card is not the 2060 board that can be watercooled.

I know that my video card will very likely have to be mounted vertically in order to fit the XD5 Pump/Res Combo, my case already supports that style of video card mount so I would just need to get the extension cable to plug into my motherboard.

I am however looking to watercool my processor, so I can get into overclocking it (maybe get some better fps in the games that I play on the computer too) as I know that cooling is especially important for that.

The main question/concern I have is with noise, I sleep during the day as I work the night shift. I have heard that the XD3 RGB Pump/Res Combo is rather noisy and takes longer to fill the loop while the XD5 RGB Pump/Res Combo is not as noisy and doesn't take as long to fill the loop. 

Also I don't think I would need a second radiator for the top of the case as I have no video card to cool, so I should be fine with just the one radiator?

I've also seen different ways to drain the loop. Some people used a Y splitter with a ball valve and others did a couple of 90° fittings with a ball valve. Is this personal preference or is one better than the other? I assume space within the case also has a role to play?

Here is the list of parts I have figured out at the moment, I got this via the Corsair Configurator:

1x XC5 RGB (1200) for my processor

1x XR5 280mm radiator for the front of the case

Softline 10/13mm tubing

4x XF Compression 10/13mm fittings

2x 90° Rotary Adapters fittings

1x Ball Valve +1 or 2 additional 90° fittings for draining the loop( I think I would need a Y splitter for this?)

Coolant: XSPC Pure(if compatible), otherwise probably one of the other XSPC compatible coolants, unless you have any suggestions?

For the Pump/Res combo it would depend on noise level. I know I can buy an XR5 120mm radiator for the XD3 pump/res or I think I can mount the XD5 pump/res on the back of an XR5 280mm radiator?

I have 2x 120mm fans on the top of the case and 2x 140mm on the front currently. I figure I can use my existing 140mm fans with the front radiator.

• 2 weeks later...

What did you do at the end?

I just noticed this, I opened a thread to ask specifically about the pump as I read people who says it is noisy other said it is quiet if run not 100% and performs well. 

Same case as you same doubt, however I am looping the GPU so I can use the larger pump although I like the smaller pump better.

I haven't done anything yet as I plan to buy the parts as I find them on sale.

I have seen the exact same thing, that some people say it is noisy and other people say it isn't noisy when you get the settings right.

I like the larger pump better, mostly because it won't take as long to fill the loop and is supposed to be not as noisy as the smaller pump. So I am leaning towards getting it but it depends on if it can fit in my case.

given the fact that the XD3 has basically zero heat sinking, i'd go with the XD5 if it can fit in the case. DDC pumps are air cooled, D5 are cooled by the water that passes through them.

the XD3 is a pretty crap design, regardless of pump performance. there are way better DDC alternatives in the market who actually have provision for pump cooling.

In terms of noise it mostly comes down to what reservoir it is attached to.

Encased in a plastic shell, i have no doubt the XD3 can be very noisy. on the pump/res i use, the DDC is actually way quieter than the D5 it had before. So it's a bit more complicated than saying DDC = noisy, D5 = quiet. it depends a lot on the pump design, and if the case resonates with the pump slight vibrations. Here the XD5 is quieter, usually. 

For filling, it also depends on your loop setup. since the pump has a reservoir you can do stuff AIOs can't do like having the reservoir at the bottom of a case, or lower than the pump level. if you have something similar, when filling the reservoir, it will fill the radiator, and you may not have to refill at first startup, or do it only once or twice. But anXD3 at the bottom of a loop, yes, you are going to hate yourself 🙂