Corsair Community

Icue H115i Elite cooler mounting problem with the official LGA 1700 retrofit set.

jackd

Icue H115i Elite cooler mounting problem with the official LGA 1700 retrofit set.

Mounting it on a Gigabyte Aorus MB and i9 12900K, LGA 1700 and the official Corsair retrofit posts set.

I think the measurements are WRONG of these support posts (i just received them), and sent a mail to Corsair support; no reply for 5 days now;

Should the Corsair - Intel support plate be tightly fitted to the MB's underside?

Without a washer there is play about 2mm, with the support shaft hitting the top of the MB. see pictures.

This can't be right; (pictures taken with the official Corsair LGA 1700 supports mounted i bought direct from Corsair):

2135577299_i9supportframe2mmplay.thumb.jpg.a6664f1ede66e6b50f5830e693b67d3c.jpg

1467817468_i9supportslga1700.thumb.jpg.c48808d0ed4e0901cbf1a598bbb36816.jpg

Edited by jackd

Pretty sure I had the same thing .

When I received my standoffs they looked slightly different to the website pics. However I used them and they worked without a hitch. The backplate will be loose until you stick a cooler on and then it pulls the backplate tight 

I was adding my h150i to a Asus Strix Z690 and and a i9 12900KS

Edited by Rossy1981
  • Thanks 1

That's what i tried, but the standoff recipients on the cooler's back-plate are leveling with my Gigabyte Aorus Z690  main board on the CPU's side. and with the LGA 1700 standoffs mounted tight the 2mm play stays. (the Corsair sent LGA 1700 standoffs measure the same as the already included LGA 1200 set).

Just figured out this solution, though did not test it yet:

1795734034_I9backplatewithfills.jpg.b8026a0a78fd79d5e5a5d78719b90156.jpg

Edited by jackd

if you have calipers you could measure the height of the standoff (not the thread, just the hex part). The LGA1700 ones should be close to a milimeter shorter. The length of the thread going to the backplate shouldn't matter much i presume.

that play between the backplate and mobo looks really odd. that's a long way to bend the backplate and those standoffs may not even take the stress. that's a recipe for bad mounting..

• Thanks 1

Nope, they are exactly the same length as the LGA 1200 set included..

Yesterday i had an expert looking at it, and he said about the same, and if mounting the cooler to keep the shims as i put there under the Mainboard..

He also suggested NOT to use the Commander Core controller,  but to connect the radiator fans direct to the  Aorus z690 mainboard's connectors.

It has enough for the two radiator fans of my H115i capellix cooler, and the mainboard 's system is also capable of controlling the fan speed.

There seem to be too many problems with latter. I don't know if he meant software related,  but he said a far less messy situation with all those extra wires.

I am trying to figure it out now, and i don't need the fancy lightshow anyway. Thnkx.

if you connect to the motherboard you will not be able to control the fan speeds from the water temperature. That sensor is hard wired to the controller and only it, and iCUE can access it.

The controller also has a safety threshold where it will override your fan curve i the water was to get too hot. You lose that safeguard if you connect the fans somewhere else.

As much as i hate iCUE, i have to say conecting fans to the motherboard is usually a very bad idea ^^ Also you'll be forced to use CPU temp as control variable which will be pretty noisy with the constant speed changes.

And you are forced to keep the controller anyways, since the pump needs it to run, so you might as well keep the fans connected to it. I wonder if your expert friend wasn't refering to the commander pro unit, which is older and has a reputation with fan outputs blowing up when using 3 pin fans. (yours are 4 pin PWM, so it's still irrelevant).

now, disconnecting the fan RGB yes, by all means do if you don't want lights.

If you wanted to get rid of the commander core unit entirely, you'd have to get another AIO.

Edited by LeDoyen
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, you are right, you cannot get around that irritating controller with all it's messy wiring,

This as it's hardwired to the cooler pump, for power too as it  seems.  If i'd known this i would not have bought this Icue capellix.

I have another PC with a H115i, the thing is not there, and it works fine for 3 years now almost.

A fan controller is already in my Fractal R6 case BTW.

Edited by jackd

I am trying to figure out now where the black single core wire with the 3-pin connector from the pump must be connected on an Aorus Mainboard,

Think it's a 4 pin socket called CPU-OPT, and lto eave one pin un- connected. the MB's manual is not very clear.

3 hours ago, jackd said:

I am trying to figure out now where the black single core wire with the 3-pin connector from the pump must be connected on an Aorus Mainboard,

Think it's a 4 pin socket called CPU-OPT, and lto eave one pin un- connected. the MB's manual is not very clear.

it goes to the CPU fan header, not the CPU opt.

It's just the pump speed tachometer wire, so your motherboard doesn't beep on startup with a CPU fan error.

You can't plug it the wrong way, there's a tab on the motherboard header that engages on the connector body to avoid going on the wrong pins.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jackd said:

Those comments seem to refer to old AIO models.

No watercooling system should be controlled by the CPU temperature but by t he water temperature, so moving the fans to the motherboard is a dumb advice to give to start with. It's inefficient and very noisy since fans will aceelerate and slow down constantly.. and the water temperature will just not be controlled at all which is what the fans should do to start with.

And you don't need iCUE to run the AIO. You only need it to set custom fan curves and manage the LEDs.

As long as your fan curve uses water temperature as control variable (H115i TEMP), you can set the curve, and uninstall iCUE. The thing will run from the commander core in hardware mode autonomously. And if you don't use iCUE, you can even monitor the thing through HWinfo, Aida etc.. who support Corsair coolers.

The commander Core is a good unit, so you can totally use that, and only start iCUE to change your fan speed curve or change light colors.

Edited by LeDoyen
  • Thanks 1

I figured out the CPU-Fan situation.

Now i got a new thing, found this about 3mm wide  jumper probably belonging on my Aorus Z690 Ultra (gigabyte) mainboard in the case.

But i can't find it's location yet, probably some parked one for a reset function. Ideas welcome !

400354472_Jumpertjegevonden.jpg.349b94f3fe3c17638393cf0c59891e4b.jpg

Edited by jackd

it's the clear CMOS jumper.

the clear CMOS is on the bottom right of the motherboard, just above the front panel connexions.

You can store it on the mobo putting it over only one pin of the clear CMOS header, so it's there if you ever need it.

• Like 1