Corsair Community

Corsair i160 - identify rattling noise

Hello,

My machine is making this rattling noise. It is softer on the left (gpu-side afaik) and appears to originate from the right (cpu-side I think) - or maybe from the back. I don't think its either of the water-loop (the system isn't overheating or rebooting at least - which I suspect would happen if it was one of those loops), nor is it the (huge) fan at the top.

Does anyone recognize this / what part is causing this? Or how to narrow it down? 

I opened the "wings", but there's nothing looking obviously wrong with any fan... Could this be one in the power supply? Or is it hidden behind something else?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Hi,

Sounds like your GPU coolant pump, chances are your AIO has some air bubbles. Try tilting the case to move the bubles from the pump to the top of the radiator. A permanent fix though is to top up the AIO coolant and bleed out the bubbles.

• Like 1

Hello,

In the meanwhile I contact Corsair support (request 2005320609) and sent a few mails back and forth. It was suggested to open the machine to rule out that it's not some cable hitting a fan. The machine has the cables running as original (nice & neat) so definitely not a cable hitting a fan.  I also tried the suggestion of gently tilting it back and forth a few times, and while I could hear some bubbles, it did not resolve the issue.

Recording another video with the machine open, I also think it's the GPU AIO pump (the other fans weren't even running, so they can't cause the noise) and it's also clearly loudest near the AIO. I just replied to support showing this video, so I hope they can send me a replacement AIO unit soon. The machine is great but that rattling noise is very unpleasant.

Edited by kalmiya

As an update, support contacted me explaining it's not possible to replace the pump, and instead suggesting to RMA the entire unit. I'd have to ship it back and they'd ship me a replacement, but I'd have to pay import/taxes myself, so assuming they ship from outside EU that'd probably be 1000 euro (ouch). From one side it's nice they are offering a solution but this is not peanuts and I'm a bit nervous to RMA such an expensive machine. 

Anyone have any experience with how good Corsair is on RMA's - especially handling times, but also what they do if they don't have a specific model in stock - since I kind of doubt they still have i160's just lying around? 

Anyone else in this situation of a failing AIO and if so, how did you solve it?

• Like 1

"it's not possible to replace the pump" WHAT!!! Oh no.  I have this same problem with my Corsair ONE i180 that is less than 3 years old.  Why can't I get a replacement for the CPU water cooler?

The C1 AIOs can be serviced to some extent. Whenever the pump in mine rattles too much, I open one of the pipes, top up the coolant and bleed out as much air as possible. The pipes are are sealed with double O rings and secured in place with a roll pin.

Likewise, a failed pump can be replaced with an equivalent one from the off self Corsair AIOs with a bit of disassembly to get to the roll pins securing the pipes to the pump ports.

Roll pin removal.jpg

Double o rings.jpg

• Corsair Employee
On 6/16/2022 at 1:56 AM, LAD3D said:

"it's not possible to replace the pump" WHAT!!! Oh no.  I have this same problem with my Corsair ONE i180 that is less than 3 years old.  Why can't I get a replacement for the CPU water cooler?

We should be able to assist if the issue is with the CPU AIO.  Let me know if you have any issues.