Corsair Community

Commander pro fans at full speed when booting

Hi, i have a problem with fans ramping on full speed when booting up untill windows is started. I have a custom fan curve set in icue, all four temp sensors connected to commander pro and fans set to 4pin in icue (other options gives the same result). Is there any solution for that?

What is the control variable (sensor choice) for your custom curve?  Anything except temp probe data must be fetched from the motherboard-> other hardware and the controller needs the software to do that. 

Sensor choice for all the fans is water temperature of corsair aio. Two fans on a aio are not going full speed when booting only 3 front ones and 1 exhaust hooked up to commander pro are going full speed. What do u mean by fetch those data from the motherboard? So u mean i should set temp sensor choice to those sensors on commander?

2 minutes ago, Bulletstorm said:

Sensor choice for all the fans is water temperature of corsair aio.

Presumably you have a Platinum/XT or older Pro AIO and thus no Commander Core with the Elite series.  Each of those AIOs has its own internal fan controller and the temp data is native to the AIO.  Your Commander Pro cannot get the temperature from the AIO unless the software is running.  It is passed from the AIO to MB (via USB 2) to software and then to the Commander Pro again.  Only works in the software environment.  There is a workaround you can try with the temp probes from the Commander Pro, but it would be helpful to know how your system is set up (radiator and fan location) and to verify your hardware.  

Hello again, aio is h100i pro which is top mounted (pull configuration), the rest is nvidia 2080 and i5 9600k. I set up water temp to be the main thermal source because i found it most consistant source and most consistant fans speeds. If i set source to cpu temp fans will ramp up and down all the time when the cpu temp changes. With water temp it needs more time to ramp up (needs more constant heat load on the cpu), which i like so its not ramping up for every little temp rise. Also i found to be water temp source the best for gaming for gpu and cpu intense titles. If i set it up for anything else some fans will stay at low speeds even when the gpu is working hard but not the cpu (i miss setting for multiple sources at once in icue).

Oh three fans in front are 120mm rgb for intake that came with corsair 500d (commander pro came with it) and the back one for exhaust. I could live with front 3 fans ramping up when booting (1600rpm max), but i cannot say the same for the back fan which is about 2400rpm max and it gets very loud.

So basically i should set up heat source to commander pro temp probes and it should be ok? I feel configuring new "optimal" curve off those would be hard. Also i feel like i need two curves (summer and winter one) 😄

10 hours ago, Bulletstorm said:

I set up water temp to be the main thermal source because i found it most consistant source and most consistant fans speeds.

Which is true and this was a good decision.  The problem is the Commander can't get the data from the other controller.  The workaround is to use a temp probe from the Commander and that presents two choices (not mutually exclusive).

1) Put a temp probe on the exhaust side of the radiator.  The radiator exhaust air temp will be approximately equal to coolant temp ort at worst with some small offset like +1C.  Either way the same custom curve you use for water cooling can be copied for temp probe duty.  All you need to do is change the sensor on the Commander Pro to Temp #1 or whichever temp port you use.  Placement is not overly picky.  See if you can slip it into the top mesh somehow.

2) Temp Probe at rear exhaust.  Coolant temp is a good metric for general case fan control, but you also can use the actual air temp.  A temp probe either in or out of the case around the rear exhaust makes a very good measurement for how much heat is in the case.  You can run a second temp probe to the front just to get a comparison point for intake vs exhaust air temp.  The curve is going to look much like the water curve, but with an air cooled GPU you will need to adjust the top end.  There should be more heat going out the back vs the top.  You'll need to experiment to see what works best.  No need to stick the temp probe on the GPU and it work better at a relatively short distance.  

Yes, most people in temperate climates will need one curve for Summer and one for Winter.  No getting around that and my peak Winter temps are about the same as my baseline Summer temps.  However, that is something beyond our control for the most part.  

Sry for the delay and thanks for your input. So i installed 3 sensors, one is on the radiator, one rear exhaust and 1 front for cold air going into the case. I set curve for the back exhaust and it works ok for now, but i will tweak it more on the weekend to get the best cooling/noise ratio. And the problem with fans at full speed on boot is resolved as u said.

Thanks again man !

😄