Corsair Community

Corsair Premium PCIe 3.0 Extension Cable question

Antykain73

I'm looking at buying this extension cable for my Corsair 7000X case, and just had a question about it..  I remember some time back, there were some issues with the extension cable.  Mainly with Z390 boards (?), if that was correct.. I am running a 9900k on a Maximus XI Hero Z390 and a EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3.  Using a custom liquid loop for cooling on the CPU/GPU, this part really doesn't matter though.  I just recall there being some issues awhile back and also remember one of the Corsair reps here saying that there was a updated version of the Corsair PCIe 3.0 Extension cable coming.  If the issues are fixed, I'm buying it asap.

Anywho, if the cable is still having issues, what PCIe extension is everyone using atm?  

There are some issues with running some PCIe 3.0 extension cables when they are connected to PCIe 4.0 slots.  The issue is mostly present on AMD motherboards.   Sometimes the issues go away when the slots are set to 3.0 via UEFI.

• Corsair Employee
On 1/7/2022 at 7:23 PM, Antykain73 said:

I'm looking at buying this extension cable for my Corsair 7000X case, and just had a question about it..  I remember some time back, there were some issues with the extension cable.  Mainly with Z390 boards (?), if that was correct.. I am running a 9900k on a Maximus XI Hero Z390 and a EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3.  Using a custom liquid loop for cooling on the CPU/GPU, this part really doesn't matter though.  I just recall there being some issues awhile back and also remember one of the Corsair reps here saying that there was a updated version of the Corsair PCIe 3.0 Extension cable coming.  If the issues are fixed, I'm buying it asap.

Anywho, if the cable is still having issues, what PCIe extension is everyone using atm?  

Good question, and this isn't really an issue, it's compatibility.  The our current cables are PCIe Gen 3, and if installed onto a motherboard that features PCIe Gen 4 slots, it will potentially not display video.  This can be corrected by manually setting the PCIe lanes to Gen 3 in the motherboard BIOS.  Your particular motherboard has PCIe Gen 3 slots, so you shouldn't have any issues running the extension, and it will be plug n play.