Corsair Community

Overclocking CMX512-PC3200C2PT

I'm having problems overclocking my XMS memory.

Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ running at 2.05 GHz (stock is 2.0)

ASUS K8N-E Deluxe motherboard

512 MB Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR 400 2.5-3-3-6-1T

XFX 6600GT AGP 128 MB DDR3 running at 550 core/ 1100 memory (stock is 500/1000)

Antec 400W PSU

2 x 40MB Maxtor HD's @ 2MB buffer

Windows XP Pro with SP2

Here's my problem:

I know that I should be able to OC my computer to 210 FSB (at least) but for some reason when I run it at that speed weird things start happening that appear to be memory problems. For instance, when I keep the latency settings at 2.5-3-3-6-1T, boost my DDR voltage up to 2.7V (from 2.6V), and boost FSB up to 210 then when I'm in a game like Battle for Middle-Earth the mouse pointer will freeze in the center of the screen. When I get out of the game, other things start freezing up. Also, my 3DMark2001, 03, and 05 scores are all about 300 to 500 points lower than when I'm running at 205 FSB.

I haven't tried bumping up the DDR voltage to 2.8V yet. I'm a little worried about running it too high. Also, everywhere that I've read suggests that Athlon64's perform better with the memory set at the most aggressive latencies rather than loosening them up so I would like to keep the current latencies.

Can anyone give me advice on this? Can I go ahead and up the DDR voltage to 2.8V without having my RAM burn up?

Thanks for your help.

I would suggest running Memtest86+ after changing your settings before going into your OS. You will be able to see any errors without having to wait for your games to crash. You can change the vDIMM to 2.8 without burning up your memory. Do you have the same symptoms when you run your video card at default clock speeds? Just curious, as your OC on your video card might cause these problems if it was overheating.

Yeah, I've always run Memtest after a memory change and it runs with no problems. Also, SuperPI runs with no problems. The video card is still nice and cool under load, even at OC. It looks like my ASUS board only goes up to 2.7V max right now. Hopefully, a BIOS update will fix that. I will try setting the video card back to stock speeds to see if that fixes the problem. Thanks.

i see that you have a 6600GT. i know that the 6800's had a problem with game's temp freezing or just plain locking up when you have the Fastwrites enabled. you can disable this feature with rivatuner or in the bios of your mobo. give that a shot and see what you get from there. mind you that you will see a slight dip in performance in gaming. i can overclock and game with my ASUS 6800GT @ 460/1160 with fastwrites disabled but only to about 420/1140 with it enabled. it's harder to get a balance with it enabled but you see more performance per overclock. let me know how this works out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived