Corsair Community

DO NOT flash MP600 Firmware 13 - It will break your drive

I wonder if they just flashed 11.3 on the drive & sent it back... without resetting whatever it is in 13 that's messing up writes.

Corsair: what's the process of flashing new firmware? does it zero the entire firmware store first or just write over it?

No - I've yet to return the original drive so this was a completely new replacement.

They could have flashed 11.3 onto a drive that had been upgraded to 13 but I guess I'll never know.

Its a good thing I don't blindly flash new firmwares without looking for feedback.

I'm stick to 11.3 on my MP600 1TB drive based on what I read in this thread.

Good lesson for all don't be so quick to flash firmwares.

Edited by LionVibez

I can certainly see where you guy's are coming from, but at the same time something doesn't quite add up.

I flashed all three of my MP600's (1x1TB + 2x2TB) after having read this form post and took the risk anyway.

Result: All three drives flashed well and performance seems to be OK according to AS SSD.

A few notes:

(A) after flashing the firmware and re-booting I saw less than ideal write speeds like many of you. After a second reboot and allowing the system time to settle I saw good performance restored.

(B) allowing the system and drives time to settle after booting into Windows seems to have a notable affect on AS SSD Benchmark results. Jump the gun and you'll see off-kilter results.

© not really a caveat... Even when I was initially seeing lower than normal benchmark scores it didn't make since because if anything since flashing to firmware 13 my PC has felt a little more in tune - like it's running a little smoother, a little snappier. PC performance vs benchmark results were definitely at odds - at first.

AS SSD Results:

Drive_C.JPG.253bde4033b7b89b5fc96ce8a35fc5b2.JPG

Drive_D.JPG.efe0bdc6ed35fa948093fc073f02fdca.JPG

Drive_E.JPG.0c766516214eab5ee9d3a6026dc0dc87.JPG

Edited by jamiee

After reading your post I decided to take the plunge and my results look good.

I can certainly see where you guy's are coming from, but at the same time something doesn't quite add up.

I flashed all three of my MP600's (1x1TB + 2x2TB) after having read this form post and took the risk anyway.

Result: All three drives flashed well and performance seems to be OK according to AS SSD.

A few notes:

(A) after flashing the firmware and re-booting I saw less than ideal write speeds like many of you. After a second reboot and allowing the system time to settle I saw good performance restored.

(B) allowing the system and drives time to settle after booting into Windows seems to have a notable affect on AS SSD Benchmark results. Jump the gun and you'll see off-kilter results.

© not really a caveat... Even when I was initially seeing lower than normal benchmark scores it didn't make since because if anything since flashing to firmware 13 my PC has felt a little more in tune - like it's running a little smoother, a little snappier. PC performance vs benchmark results were definitely at odds - at first.

AS SSD Results:

323051293_ResultsSSDTest.thumb.png.89abc8891e76e4aaca14e13ee1d8108c.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After the update to 13.0, the performance in CristalDiskMark went down on my drive too.

But I waited a few minutes and forced a TRIM on the drive, with the command:

Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter D -ReTrim -Verbose

I ran the test again and it went back to the previous performance of 11.3 firmware.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally managed to perform a secure erase on my MP600 500GB today after some posters saying that it fixed their v13 upgrade write speed issue.

The secure erase was a pain because the MP600 500GB is my OS drive.

Result - it made no difference!

Back to the drawing board.

• 2 months later...

I just registered here and spent a lot of time for extensive benchmarking to try to get the Corsair team back to the table on this - which I can confirm - issue.

I own 2x MP600 2 TB SSDs, both connected via PCIe 4.0 4x

C: MP600 tested first on FW 11.3, then flashed to FW 13.0 and tested again, operated by X570 mainboard chip

M: new MP600 flashed by factory to FW 13.0 operated by CPU

I benchmarked them thoroughly with both AS SSD and CrystalDiskMark 8.0 at different occupation levels to have better comparability:

Find the occupation in the Crystal disk mark screen, the AS SSD screens below them have been performed at the same occupation level.

Benchmark run C: - user-flashed to 11.3

myrd9TK.pngGdgavnI.pngd3FNqbc.pnghU5FDSh.png

wtVb8vJ.pngI2BbMX0.pngMK1cwdw.pngVq2quR4.png

Benchmark run C: - user-flashed to 13.0

8LEh4aF.png

9e4aA8g.png

Benchmark run M: - factory-flashed to 13.0

MeCQ4XH.pngmBoRGIX.pngwi7vVLR.png

NS3WCJQ.png7rdNeI8.pngJwlwCAV.png

Sorry that I just had one complete sample left for user-flashed 13.0.

Factory-side flashed 13.0 seems to improve things at higher occupation, however the user-flashed 13.0 indeed seems to break things, as performance was consistently lower at about 50% occupation or more.

Plz fix, I'd better go to sleep now

Edited by com.f
corrected fw version

I did a "repair reinstall" of Windows 10 and my speeds are Now 4997 Read and 4222 Write across multiple benchmark apps Like Crystal Diskmark and ASSSD.

All you do is download the Windows 10 ISO, store the ISO on C: Drive, double click to mount, double click setup.exe, go through the prompts and click Keep apps and Files.

I tried everything else. But this worked across multiple reboots. I even force shutdown to be sure

(the slower ASSSD speed was after i ran the benchmarks about 15 times)

image_2021-05-20_205227.png.530aeded745aa32e8107b165cf4f75f5.png

Edited by jholbrook514
update

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...