Corsair Community

ICUE Profiles fatally bugged

Louiscar

I am at the end of my tether fighting with this awful piece of software!

It is so bugged that I just don't know if it's worth creating profiles only to have them corrupted fatally.

Here is the scenario which is repeatable 100%

I have one profile which lights inner typing keys all green and all the rest are blue (painfully repeating it manually as there is no way to copy across!)

So this looks like 2 profiles which are static colour and when viewed separately the green one just has green keys all the others are off. Visa versa for the blue.

Then I copy this to the library - I also do this for the hardware section too.

As soon as they are copied to the library viewing each individual profile eg. green will show all keys lit up in green and the same for the blue!

But initially when clicking on the main section Hardware Lighting or lighting they do what they are supposed to. However, even when clicking on the active ones individually after restarting Icue these also refuse to show the true lighting configuration ie. each one shows 100% all keys lit in blue or green.

Should I delete the active ones and copy from the library then the corruption is complete. The keys all light up with blue or green depending on which is on top.

I have done this time and time again and everytime saved profiles (in static colours - I haven't tried anything else yet) corrupt as soon as they are moved to the library so it's impossible to see what you designed in the first place.

Btw this has nothing to do with view all effects vs view single effect - that does'nt change anything.

100% repeatable but I can't find a solution anywhere and have to assume this whole profile thing with Icue is just nonsense! Also made worse by not being able to copy simple profiles from the lighting to hardware. I know hardware has limitations but we should have some facility to copy one set of simple lighting effects from one to the other.

That is beside the point though, what is the point is the corrupted profiles.

I hope this will be fixed in the future but given the length of time Icue has been about I am not holding my breath.

My keyboard is K95 platinum btw not that it should matter but just in case

I having a hard time following your description in certain areas. As I understand it, you've created a two effect KB lighting pattern that has one color on the outside and a another color on the inside. It doesn't really matter which layer is on top, as long as the relevant keys are selected and it might look something like the following.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/4565/poajad5fi3xp8i56g.jpg

Your issue relates to the effects in the Lighting Library? Any effect in Lighting Library has no designated keys or LEDs. It is saved in name and color value only (and speed/direction for waves). This means there isn't much reason to save static colors to the library vs simply creating a new static layer and entering in the color value. However, whenever you select a lighting effect in the Library, it will 'preview' that effect over the entire corresponding hardware. So if I have a Spiral Rainbow effect in my fan library, it will show on all of my QL fans when selected. The preview is a mirage and will disappear when any other part of the software is made active or you close the Library.

If you copy an effect back to the working effects panel from the Library, it has no memory of it's prior assignments. It does remember what keys, fans, or LEDs it used to be on. It will apply itself to the entire layout, just like when you create a new effect.

I am not sure what you were attempting to make easier with the copying back and forth. However, if I wanted to make several versions of the profile above each with a different color ring on the outside, the fastest way to do this is to use the "copy profile" function from the drop down to duplicate the profile, go to Copy of A and directly change the RGB value for the green to the desired color, and then rename Copy of A to whatever you want. If you want this to be all in one profile and just prefer one color or another on different days, you can do the same thing by using the "copy effect" from the lighting list drop down. That will create a copy of the green layer which you can then change the RGB value and hide all those not in use. That allows you to shift the color by selecting one color ring and hiding another.

Your issue relates to the effects in the Lighting Library? Any effect in Lighting Library has no designated keys or LEDs. It is saved in name and color value only (and speed/direction for waves). This means there isn't much reason to save static colors to the library vs simply creating a new static layer and entering in the color value. However, whenever you select a lighting effect in the Library, it will 'preview' that effect over the entire corresponding hardware. So if I have a Spiral Rainbow effect in my fan library, it will show on all of my QL fans when selected. The preview is a mirage and will disappear when any other part of the software is made active or you close the Library.

If you copy an effect back to the working effects panel from the Library, it has no memory of it's prior assignments. It does remember what keys, fans, or LEDs it used to be on. It will apply itself to the entire layout, just like when you create a new effect.

I am not sure what you were attempting to make easier with the copying back and forth. However, if I wanted to make several versions of the profile above each with a different color ring on the outside, the fastest way to do this is to use the "copy profile" function from the drop down to duplicate the profile, go to Copy of A and directly change the RGB value for the green to the desired color, and then rename Copy of A to whatever you want. If you want this to be all in one profile and just prefer one color or another on different days, you can do the same thing by using the "copy effect" from the lighting list drop down. That will create a copy of the green layer which you can then change the RGB value and hide all those not in use. That allows you to shift the color by selecting one color ring and hiding another.

Yes that your assumption is correct.

Well I just wanted to copy it across to library so it can be edited. As it is the first profile I did I wanted to preserve it and adjust it.

It makes little sense to me that when copied across it cannot remember what keys were off and what keys are on. This doesn't make any sense - why let you do that in the first place with profiles if it can't / won't save it.

It also serves as a way to see how a profile is set but in fact you can't even view that as at some point (even though it'll display correctly) the active section can suddenly show only all keys lit in each color thus stopping you from seeing or editing.

Putting it in the library was just so I can restore it later as one got corrupted and it takes a while to do the whole keyboard.

The fact that in the active section it starts off displaying correctly when clicking on each one then at some point it reverts to not displaying it properly at all but sometimes will still remember it.

I attached the profile just in case but your assessment of what I was trying to do is largely correct.

Blue green.cueprofile

The Library doesn't work very well as a work space. It's really more of a cut/paste clipboard for moving a single complex custom lighting effect from one profile to another of like device type. You still can't take a wave from the keyboard and move it to a set of fans. You can move it from the keyboard in Profile A to the keyboard in Profile B.

My recommendation for what I think you are trying to do it is to either a) make a copy of the lighting effect you are working on within the exiting profile, hide the original layer, and then edit the copy. If when you finish you don't like it or want to go back, you simply delete hide the copy layer or delete it and reveal the original layer. b) More often than not you may want to do this as a profile for finished work. I consistently use copy profile to start a new piece of work, even if it is going to look nothing like the original profile. This automatically duplicates your actions, fans speed, notification, and all your other settings. Then you can focus on the lighting. Make a mistake, don't like it? Just delete and the original is intact.

Don't use the library as a permeant save/storage space. At any time the library could be altered by the next version of CUE. Make sure you export your profile to preserve it. As far as day to day stuff, keeping colors in there may not have a lot of value. You can always hide them in the original. That then solves the issues of having to re-apply them to the proper keys. This is a more common thing to do with a list of Actions that people use in many of their profiles, but again you can do this by copying the base profile and there have been several bugs over the lifespan of CUE 3 where item in the Actions Library caused problems elsewhere. Just like the lighting, Actions saved in the Library do not retain their key assignments and must be designated after moving them into a profile.

Thanks for the suggestions however, I have to point out that if the library is supposedly for complex profiles it fails miserably on relatively simple profiles and in my experiments I simply can't trust this feature to anything more complex- it's flakey and it's bugged - it's less than useless to me and that is the point of the post. Corsair needs to make sense of this software - it should be reliable in what it purports to achieve and if you don't have reliability you have buggy software that cannot be trusted.

Even hiding / unhiding layers is flakey - you will get differing nonesnsical results and they don't help in the least to tell you actually what was set.

I honestly don't understand how something designed as a "Library" function could be less fit for purpose. If one understood the whys then perhaps we could find workarounds but that isn't the case here.

Saving profiles isn't that reliable either. I did wonder why I loaded other peoples profiles and couldn't figure out how they were created because they corrupt when loaded .. and so does mine

Currently I am in absolute disbelief about how or why Corsair thought this software is fit for purpose. It's a lesson in complete frustration and completely illogical and yes it's BUGGED to hell, and if they think this isn't a bug then we have a bunch of very strange thinking programmers out there.

Sorry for the rant but I am really annoyed about this stupid clunky software and it's a cause of such frustration that I just give up trying to make anything more complex because it's just going to end up in total frustration and take up hours of wasted time when it doesn't need to at all!