Corsair Community

When using Commander Pro/iCue for fan control what dictates fan speed?

Scooter21

When I have my fans all set to QUIET for example, they typically run at about 800 RPMs. Occasionally they speed up quite a bit. Why? What is controlling the fan speed? I don't see any meaningful changes in reported temperatures and regardless, what temperature indication is the Commander Pro using to determine the fans need to speed up or slow down?

The Commander Pro uses CPU temperature as the default control variable for the three presets (Quiet/balanced/Extreme). It’s not a good control source, but it is the only thing every system is guaranteed to have. Nearly all users will want off that immediately. Recent CPUs are far too dynamic in their idle behavior.

Performance tab, click the +, new custom curve at the bottom. There are 3 shape tools in the upper right corner of the graph that match the coolant temp curve on Corsair AIO units. Anything is better than cpu temp. Quick fixes are using gpu temp or motherboard temp in the sensor choice drop down. If you have a Corsair AIO, H1xx Temp will there as well and can be used to balance the radiator fans. The best possible set up is using the temp probes from the Commander box (or any 10k thermistor) and set them up to measure intake or exhaust air temp. That is the value case fans regulate and the device can follow that with or without the software running. It does require you learn the normal range of the sensor and that will change with exact positioning. This takes some time to sort out.