Corsair Community

650W Corsair TX650 failure

peterainbow

Hi,

so i recently purchased a pc from enuyer ( https://www.ebuyer.com/982370-alphasync-core-i5-10th-gen-16gb-ram-2tb-hdd-240gb-ssd-rtx-as-d5262 )

after a couple of weeks the psu blew up in it, ebuyer have informed me that they had a whole batch that have failed from corsair

is this correct, would like to know whether to get another pc from them

the psu is 650W Corsair TX650

i found the whole experience tricky as i couldn't get the led control working on this pc either

they did refund me, but it has put me to some inconvenience...

anyway would like some thoughts...

cheers

pete

What was the lot code of the PSUs?

What country are you located in? UK?

yes uk, sorry don;t have the lot code, was Ben Dixon <ben.dixon@ebuyer.com>

and to quote his email

"The fault is with the PSU, we had an investigation into this as many customers reported the same fault and it came down to a faulty batch that corsair had supplied to us.

We’ve since gotten rid of that batch."

not great having something that took out my house electrics and then eventually went bang

• Corsair Employee
yes uk, sorry don;t have the lot code, was Ben Dixon <ben.dixon@ebuyer.com>

and to quote his email

"The fault is with the PSU, we had an investigation into this as many customers reported the same fault and it came down to a faulty batch that corsair had supplied to us.

We’ve since gotten rid of that batch."

not great having something that took out my house electrics and then eventually went bang

Ok. Since you already reported to eBuyer, I don't know what I can do for you.

It looks like they have isolated the faulty batch. So that's good.

But I did forward the message from eBuyer to Corsair support.

Edited by jonnyguru

Ok. Since you already reported to eBuyer, I don't know what I can do for you.

It looks like they have isolated the faulty batch. So that's good.

But I did forward the message from eBuyer to Corsair support.

well just seems a bit odd to me that both ebuyer and probably corsair know about this and yet there does not seem to be any kind of product recall, it is/was after all a fire risk, or am i missing something here?

Wow! I didn't know there was a fire. Everything ok?

fire risk is what i said, there were sparks out the back, but i was there so by luck no further happenings, i then had to spend half a day wiping my data,

i find it very annoying that faulty goods can be sold like this and no compensation offered, other companies i know treat their customers more fairly. right now i do not know if the fault is with corsair or with ebuyer or both, trying to work out...

• Corsair Employee

Well, I was asking about the lot code because I was thinking it could be something similar to this: https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197081

TX-M And SF share the same OEM and the time frame aligns, that's where I was heading with that.

I haven't seen it happen myself, but I have heard that there are sparks that fly when the contaminated diode pops. Also, I have heard that when this does happen, the mains will often trip.

Edited by jonnyguru

Well, I was asking about the lot code because I was thinking it could be something similar to this: https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197081

TX-M And SF share the same OEM and the time frame aligns, that's where I was heading with that.

I haven't seen it happen myself, but I have heard that there are sparks that fly when the contaminated diode pops. Also, I have heard that when this does happen, the mains will often trip.

well that is interesting, yes it was that hot period in the UK, pretty outrageous though to just talk about the DC side, on the AC side it took out our electrics, so not in anyway a safe thing, is the 650W Corsair TX650 covered by that product recall, if not implies the problem is wider than just the SFF

• Corsair Employee
well that is interesting, yes it was that hot period in the UK, pretty outrageous though to just talk about the DC side, on the AC side it took out our electrics, so not in anyway a safe thing, is the 650W Corsair TX650 covered by that product recall, if not implies the problem is wider than just the SFF

No. There was no end user recall for the TX-M. I believe they tried to do a channel recall, but I don't believe all of the vendors responded and ended up using/selling the PSUs anyway.