Corsair Community

h115ip+9900k high temps

rrrrrrr

Hello, I got this cooler a while ago together with the new cpu and while the temps always seemed a bit on the high side, I didn't pay much attentiont to it since I heard the 9900k is a bit on the spicy side.

But as summer rolls in and in the middle of an early heatwave, I'm hitting 90c+ temps on 50% cpu load. Something is fishy here.

To keep temps lower than 80, I need to keep the case open with a fan blowing air at it.

Coolant temps (as reported by icue) are reaching mid 40s with the case closed, mid-high 30s with the case open and fan blowing. Room temperature should be around 30ish.

To summarise, when not using the goold old 'fan blowing at pc' trick coolant is in the 40s and cpu in the 80s, when using it coolant in the mid 30s and cpu in the mid 60s.

Do I need to start fiddling with the contact of the cooler or it's normal and it's just too hot in my ****hole?

I don't think it's a contact issue. A tornado of air won't help with that and you would have been onto it from the start, not when the weather heated up. If opening the case up knocks 10C off of things, then we know at least part of the problem. However, the root cause may be something else besides just the room temp.

I generally tell people most AIO coolers will idle +4-7C above the room temp and then a full CPU only load is another +8C beyond that. If we had add that to the 30C ambient temp, that takes you into the 40s on coolant, which is about what we're seeing. Even if you are not running a 100% CPU stress test, GPU heat in the case is likely to make up the different. I assume the H115i is in the top of the 780T as exhaust? That's where most people would have it.

If your coolant is 42C (or whatever) then that is also the minimum possible CPU temperature. Most 9900K owners are going to see a 40-50C CPU to coolant differential. This value is most determined by voltage. What settings are you running for the CPU? Still on default 'Auto' voltage? Standard 5.0, ~1.30v overclock? Most people can take some off the top end by getting off the Auto setting, regardless of the clock speed they want to run. See what the Vcore does when in use.

I am not sure what can be done about GPU waste heat, aside from what you are already doing. Unfortunately, room temp is a large factor in overall temperature. 30C puts you at 10C disadvantage over the person sitting in their icy air conditioned basement. Worse still is you likely don't have control over that, so we'll have to work on the other.

While GPU isn't quite idling, it's not being stressed either, sitting in the low 50s range.

Yeah, the radiator is top-mounted. I want to believe my fans are pushing air out, but I can't really tell by feel and the more I read about fan directions on this thing the more confused I get.

Turning the AC on obviously improves temps somewhat but coolant temp is still in the mid-high 30s.

Perhaps the GPU semi-idling with it's fans mostly off has an effect on this?

OK, this is all just normal desktop operation? No CPU stress test? No gaming? If so, that is something else.

As above, the H115i Temp should sit about 4-7C above room temperature. Most 780T owners I have spoken with over the years fit that range. While there is surely wiggle room one way or the other based on processor type, hardware and OS power states, and extreme high or low fan speed, a clear warning sign is if your coolant is 10-15C over ambient when sitting there with no load. If this is true, you most likely are in the early stages of some kind of flow blockage.

If things are not quite so cut and dry with the coolant, you can probe it a little. Use something mild like CPU-Z's "Bench Stress test". It is linear, so when you click start, it should jump up to XX degrees and mostly sit right there. The CPU temp will go up +1C for each +1C of coolant rise. Watch both and see what happens. I should move above 1C every 30 seconds and have total increase of 6-8C depending on fan speed. You can set that to 1300 rpm fixed if you want to save me some math later. Warning signs are a coolant temp that ticks along 35-36-37-38....45.. 50.. every few seconds. If you hit 50C coolant temp - stop. You only need to run it 5-10 min at most. If it levels off after 5 min, there is no need to continue. However after you quit, watch what happens with the coolant. It should drop 3-4C in the first 2 minutes. The final 3-4C often takes longer. However, look to see if it hangs at that peak value and doesn't come down. That is another sign it can't get the heat to the dissipation point at the normal rate.

**For the radiator fans, just look at the hub. If it is the pretty label side with "Corsair", a sailboat, or some other graphic, that is the intake side. If you can see the 4 fan vane supports, a wire, and the sticker has some voltage or amperage data on it, that is rear exhaust side. No matter which way it faces, the above holds true for testing purposes.

I would give the cpu contact plate a nice and proper cleaning and reapplication of the thermal paste. I have the H115I on a 9900k and i OC to 5.0ghz on all cores. Ran some benchmarks and at 100%CPU i saw a jump to 80c but fans sped up and I held steady around 50-60C.

Curious, when you applied, did you use the paste that Corsair put on there for you?

I didn't (Sorry Corsair not personal haha). I cleaned it and applied my own.

Hello, I got this cooler a while ago together with the new cpu and while the temps always seemed a bit on the high side, I didn't pay much attentiont to it since I heard the 9900k is a bit on the spicy side.

But as summer rolls in and in the middle of an early heatwave, I'm hitting 90c+ temps on 50% cpu load. Something is fishy here.

To keep temps lower than 80, I need to keep the case open with a fan blowing air at it.

Coolant temps (as reported by icue) are reaching mid 40s with the case closed, mid-high 30s with the case open and fan blowing. Room temperature should be around 30ish.

To summarise, when not using the goold old 'fan blowing at pc' trick coolant is in the 40s and cpu in the 80s, when using it coolant in the mid 30s and cpu in the mid 60s.

Do I need to start fiddling with the contact of the cooler or it's normal and it's just too hot in my ****hole?

Make sure you've got your pump set to "Extreme" and double check your fans speeds. I only hit 91c on full load stress test. Your liquid temperatures seem pretty high - I keep my home around 78-80F and my radiator temperatures maxed around 40c when running fans in extreme mode. Using my push pull, they max around 36.5c under full load, and around 33c gaming/streaming.

This is on an H150i, but I don't think its much better than a 115i pro.

I have corsair 115i cooler and this is 4th year with it. Before few days computer was lagged. I'm a designer and use photoshop everyday. I thought it was lagged because of the temp files etc. I formatted the pc and installed essential softwares. After that I figure out something is wrong with my pc. I didn't know even about the corsair link software until today. I saw my temp is very high in idle. It was around 40-50 C with idle. I ran cpuz stress and within 10 seconds my all cores became to 98+ c and I stopped it. Liquid temp was around 55C. Can you guys guess what's wrong with my cooler? I attached a screenshot of stats

skq2b4