Corsair Community

Continual clicking from repositioned cooler (sound file attached)

JustPeachy

Following on from this thread with excellent advice from c-attack and DevBiker, I changed my configuration on my H100i v2, swapping it end-to-end and changing the fans to intake, to lower temps under load. It's doing a good job so far, though not stressed it yet with folding@home. [updated temps whilst folding: -11C CPU, +6C GPU, +5C mobo]

The problem now is the noise. Before the change with the fans, there was a low hum, slightly louder on performance. Almost silent - perfect.

I've read some posts that said the popping and clicking are bubbles that will go, and they have. I'm left with a continous noise, an audible fast ticking.

c-attack said HERE "If it were a genuine mechanical issue, the noise would be produced on each revolution and get considerably worse as pump speed increased."

The attachment is sound taken with my phone, side off the case. [You may need to turn up the volume, through my headphones it doesn't sound that loud.]

About 10-12 secs in there are 3 clicks, these are mouse clicks as I changed from quiet to performance mode. The speed and volume of the fast-clicks increases. There is a slight low volume pause where I stopped the recording and then start it again.

It's not very loud, how loud does it have to be to indicate a fault? Bear in mind it was run on low power for two years, and DevBiker said I was lucky it wasn't damaged.

I don't recall doing anything to it particularly during install (apart from swearing at it). The bubble noises (like HDD noises) have gone, as I said earlier.

Is there anything I can do to alleviate it if it's normal? What's happened to it, it was almost silent 12 hours ago...

Coolant temp 25.4C, CPU 29C (idle), ambient temp 17C. Temps from Corsair Link. No other problems apart from the noise. Mounted at the top of the case, and case position makes no difference.

Thanks for your attention.

Voice 001.zip

Edited by JustPeachy

What I am hearing is fairly even and rhythmic. When people are talking about pops and clicks, it is usually like an HDD that wants to explode or if you poured a somewhat shaken can of seltzer water into a glass. It is a sharp and distinguished layer of noise on top of the usual electrical motor hum. That hum is mostly what I hear in the clip. Why it seems louder now I am not certain. Could be the fans made more noise at idle in the previous configuration, case position or distance relative to you, or some other normal explanation. If the moving the case around does not change the tone, it is unlikely to be bubbles and I don't hear it either.

Presumably this is only evident at idle in quiet room with you listening for it. If that is audible above medium fan speed, then perhaps the motor is struggling a bit, but I can't hear that right now. Unfortunately, the sound of a pump is never going to be pleasant. It is a small, high speed electrical device. Nobody likes a dentist drill either. The higher frequency harmonics are not something most people enjoy. My suggestion for quiet work time is to bump fan speeds just a little. It doesn't have to be all of them or the radiator fans. Any fan (inside the case or out) will add some more diffuse sound to the mix. A ceiling fan on low general covers it as well. I never think my build is loud in the Summer, but on a cold, still Winter morning I swear it sounds like a piece of heavy earth moving machinery. It doesn't.

I think you misunderstood, there were loud pops and clicks, like a HDD on steroids, but they disappeared about about 30 mins. This post was about the clicking.

The fans/moving air on the clip seems louder there than in real life, when the fast clicks were clearly audible over the fans 1.5m away. Perhaps I should have turned off all the other fans, so the underlying clicking was clearer on the sound clip. In the recorder app screenshot attached, you can clearly see the clicks.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that the sound died away late in the evening, and I can't hear it this morning, so perhaps I was a bit too earlier in posting. Given what you had said on a previous post about noise being audible on every revolution (above), I got a bit worried.

:!oops:

438533881_Screenshot_20200503-124348_VoiceRecorder.thumb.jpg.929843b25f63057305e160397be1d241.jpg

Edited by JustPeachy