Corsair Community

H80i Watercooling

Indoraptor

Hi, so let me try to see if i can explain. Today I found the mPCIe piece for my Maximus VI Formula board and decided to install it. I had to take off the 4 screws holding on the radiator onto the back of my case and install the board. All went well and I rescrewed the radiator back on. When I went to boot up my pc my ASUS OC Display immediately read that it was running at 89c and 8000+ RPM and my BIOS load came up saying there was an overheating issue. I got it booted into windows, Corsair LINK would not automatically load like it *always* has and my pump started whining. My nornal idle temp is 29c and in game upwards from 31-36c. I shut my pc off out of panicing and I removed the board and while I got no more BIOS load issue saying I was overheating, my fan speed from the pump was reporting it going from the 2200 rpm and climbing up to 8000+ again. The temperature being reported also was climbing again (all within windows). I am at a loss. I bought this system piece by piece back in 2014 and installed everything first-go with *zero* problems and have never once had an overheating issue or otherwise in all nearly 5 years. The only thing I did was unscrew the 4 screws holding the radiator on and rested it to the side while I put the mPCIe board on. I did not disconnect anything and I did a typical canned air cleanout prior to putting the side panel back on. I did not leave my pc with any power going to it while installing the board or even while canned airing it. Does anybody have any advice or solution or did I just get really unlucky that it happened to just die after installing something unrelated?

Both of my fans are working on the radiator portion along with the LED over the processor but it is cycling from blue to red instead of staying blue like it always would. I have the fans set to exhaust and not intake aswell.

Best guess is something failed mechanically on the pump. Nothing in your system runs 8000 rpm or even close, so that high speed whir and excessive speed reading is concerning. Theoretically it’s possible something is blocking the flow, but the first reason is more likely. Unfortunately it is not addressable whereas a blockage might be. While running, try tilting the case forwards so the pump block is lower than the rear mounted radiator (relatively). See if there is a change in tone. If yes, then there might be some kind of obstruction, although it could be mechanical anyway. If not, then it most likely all over and the unit has failed. Either way, I would contact Corsair through the ticket support system to get the RMA process moving or start looking for a replacement.

Archived