Corsair Community

Looking for list/guideline to determine RAM Rank.

askium

Hello,

since some CPU manufacturers have different specifications for RAM types and since the question comes up from time to time, I wonder if it would be possible to create a (sticky) thread that shows the memory rank of specific modules and gives a guideline on how to check what rank your Corsair RAM has.

There are a few in this thread, but it would be nice to have a complete list / guide.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=166231

In my case, I was wondering about the CMK16GX4M4A2666C16 Kit with 4x4GB Sticks.

Would it be possible to set up a list for this?

And does the Revision of the Kit have an influence on the Rank?

Ideas for the list:

Series, Capacity of the Stick, Frequency Range, Rank and maybe the Revision, if it has influence.

For example:

Vengeance LPX with 4GB/Stick (1x/2x/4x Kit) between 2133MHz and 3000MHz has Rank x, 3200MHz and above will have Rank y

Or maybe a "guide", like: Sticks with <=8GB and <= 3000MHz will be Rank x, everything with more capacity and/or frequency will be Rank y

(The speed values are just an example.)

In my case, I was wondering about the CMK16GX4M4A2666C16 Kit with 4x4GB Sticks.

To my knowledge all (current) 4GB Corsair DDR4 Modules are Single Rank, since there are no lower density ICs than 4Gbit variants available to produce them.

And does the Revision of the Kit have an influence on the Rank?

Fom the Corsair version number on the modules you can derive the number of ranks via the module size and IC density. An 8GB DDR4 Module with Corsair Ver4.24 is built from Samsung 4Gbit E-Die ICs and therewith is Dual Rank for example.

Version 5.2 with 4GB modules that contain 2x4 chips each, on one side of the PCB.

I just found your review of the CMK16GX4M4A2800C16 on Hardwareluxx and there you wrote that your kit was single rank with version 5.29.

So I assume the 2666MHz version of that kit will be aswell, although it has a different version number.

Is MFR/AFR just a different chip revision?

And it would be interesting if Corsair could provide a new list for DDR4 similar to the DDR2/3 IC Inquiry lists.

Ver5.29 is Hynix 4Gbit MFR

Ver5.20 is Hynix 4Gbit AFR

Since both are 4Gbit ICs, you need 8 ICs to build a 4GB module (SR) from them and likewise 16 ICs for a 8GB module (Dual Rank).

I don't think Corsair will publish a DDR4 IC inquiry list, otherwise we would already have one, since people were asking for it since the very first days of DDR4 based products. However there are other places you can look for information like for example my Corsair user reviews (version scheme explained), so I don't have an issue with it personally :D

Archived