Corsair Community

UPS selection for AX1500i

leon_123

Hi guys,

I want to purchase a APC Back-UPS to keep my computer safely when the event of power failure occur. My PC use Corsair AX1500i power supply, which is an Active PFC PSU. I read lots of articles on internet that complain about UPS that output stepped sine wave (or simulated) will not function property with Active PFC PSU, recommendation is buy a true sine wave UPS. So which UPS should I choose?

• Corsair Employee
I read lots of articles on internet that complain about UPS that output stepped sine wave (or simulated) will not function property with SOME Active PFC PSU, recommendation is buy a true sine wave UPS.

Fixed for you.

Most PC PSUs work fine with simulated sine-wave. Some don't.

That said, true sine is still recommended. Especially if you're really pushing that much power. Of course, you know how much power you're using because Link tells you. :D:

Fixed for you.

Most PC PSUs work fine with simulated sine-wave. Some don't.

That said, true sine is still recommended. Especially if you're really pushing that much power. Of course, you know how much power you're using because Link tells you. :D:

Thanks for reply.

I'm totally aware of my power usage through the CL app, but the PSU has an inrush draw that could overload the UPS with step approximation sine wave as APC post here: http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158939/

I don't know if true sine wave UPS can eliminate that?

Correct. Most people don't take that into consideration and step approximation sine wave WILL overload the UPS.

So what is your max load as per LINK? If you over-compensate, you'll be fine.

Yeah, that's why I'm considering buy a true sine wave UPS so that I don't have to pay more for the bigger UPS power.

With my current specs, I've recorded maximum load about 1100W.

Archived