Corsair Community

Using SIV to control H80i V2

boeing253

Thanks Red-Ray, I will report back this evening to you.

Thanks.

Hi Red-Ray,

I have just run the test, and it took 3 minutes 40 seconds and found an I/O Error, here is the error working normally.

"@ 23:18:24.850 seq 6F 5 = CreateFile( \\?\usb#vid_1b1c&pid_0c08#7289_2.0#{3c5e1462-5695-4e18-876b-f3f3d08aaf18} ) Access is denied."

Then here is the link test when it's frozen I/O error:

"@ 23:30:45.955 seq 66 2 = CreateFile( \\?\usb#vid_1b1c&pid_0c08#7289_2.0#{3c5e1462-5695-4e18-876b-f3f3d08aaf18} ) The system cannot find the file specified"

Then again an I/O error after disabling & re enabling the driver in Device Manager:

"@ 23:33:16.854 seq 91 5 = CreateFile( \\?\usb#vid_1b1c&pid_0c08#7289_2.0#{3c5e1462-5695-4e18-876b-f3f3d08aaf18} ) Access is denied"

And the screenshots attached for you to look at.

Thanks

1071173081_LinkTestH80iV2whenworkingcorrectly.png.0657dfae5ff483677df34acc37b4888e.png

1329106748_LinkTestH80iV2frozenandDisabledinDeviceManager.thumb.png.09b7145bdd2bdef8060bed1f6c824f32.png

885225511_LinkTestH80iV2frozenandRe-EnabledinDeviceManager.png.30efc5873da9918236848d8f14e6a1dc.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
attachment.php?attachmentid=30239&d=1500204181

I thought I had best post the first screenshot as the test took much longer than 40 seconds.

Well done, something strange is happening. What does Menu->Help->Lock Handle report?

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=892949

The Transfer Test Limit should be 10,000 and if it's not use Menu->Tools->Configure->Link Setup to set it to 10,000 and press [save].

The Test Limit is also 100,000 rather than 10,000.

Changed the Test Limit to 10,000 and test ran for 2 seconds and straight away came back with this error:

"@ 23:46:45.189 seq C0 5 = CreateFile( \\?\usb#vid_1b1c&pid_0c08#7289_2.0#{3c5e1462-5695-4e18-876b-f3f3d08aaf18} ) Access is denied."

Red-Ray I've just noticed something very interesting. After changing that Test limit to 10,000 I've had the cooler with the Link Fans page open show 0 RPM for Pump and Fans and then after a few seconds it starts working again automatically?

You are running CL4 + SIV -AIOCTL at the same time.

I suspect this may be the root cause of all your issues. You need to stop CL4 being active.

Hi Red-Ray, sorry that is only because I just opened it up to get the Version Number for the previous post I showed you.

Please see the new Lock Handle report attached now.

I also have CPUID HWMonitor which is also reporting my H80iV2 Liquid Temp, Fan & Pump RPM.

1590744572_LockHandleCL4Closed..png.dd8cf653dabacfea7d18386ac72a2d5b.png

I also have CPUID HWMonitor which is also reporting my H80iV2 Liquid Temp, Fan & Pump RPM.

CPUID HWMonitor does not have the Global\CorsairLinkReadWriteGuardMutex named mutex open so should not be reporting your H80iV2 :(:.

This is a bug in CPUID HWMonitor and will also mess up SIV, in fact it's more likely to do this than CL4 is !

This version of CPUID HWMonitor will also mess up CL4 + AIDA64 + HWiNFO, so there is also a fair chance CPUID HWMonitor was causing your issues when you were using CL4.

You should not use CPUID HWMonitor 'till it's fixed. What is the version number and is there a later version?

Why do you wish to use it? What does it report that SIV does not report?

attachment.php?attachmentid=30244&d=1500207177

And here is an error reported briefly by the Lock Handle, It went back to green a few seconds later.

This is not an error, it's simply reporting that the lock has been claimed by SIV and is expected. Over time other locks may also be reported as being claimed.

The colours are sort of like a traffic light, green means it's available to be claimed and red shows it has been claimed. It's also possible for it to be amber if the lock is abandoned, see the section on WAIT_ABANDONED

CPUID HWMonitor should be claiming the Global\CorsairLinkReadWriteGuardMutex lock before it reads the H80iV2, but as it does not even have the lock open it's can't be doing this and has a bug.

Hi Red-Ray,

Well thank you very much for that brilliant piece of information about CPUID HWMonitor.

Now that I have SIV and I'm getting very used to it, SIV is the only reporting information I need and this is what I will be using going forward.

I have uninstalled it right now off my PC.

I was just flying my flight simulator game (With CPUID HWMonitor running and the cooler froze, this was without CL4 running, and i disabled/re-enabled the driver to get it working again.

I ran Link Test and it would only run for 2 seconds with that same I/O error.

"@ 00:28:05.516 seq 28 5 = CreateFile( \\?\usb#vid_1b1c&pid_0c08#7289_2.0#{3c5e1462-5695-4e18-876b-f3f3d08aaf18} ) Access is denied"

Screenshot is attached.

Now that I probably know what the root cause is as I had a CPUID HWmonitor running all the time while CL4 was open and it was freezing.

I have switched to SIV now, and I'm getting more familiar with it the more I use it. Let me test out a proper couple of hours on my Flight Simulator tomorrow and report back. If it is indeed fixed by this simple action, then I'm very gracious to you for providing such an invaluable piece of software.

It's 1am here in New Zealand so I will report back tomorrow.

Many Thanks

1587548949_LinkTestAfterDisablingandRe-enabling.png.3a95f7dddcdcf5f1ff44c5e97c2c46cc.png

I ran Link Test and it would only run for 2 seconds with that same I/O error.

"@ 00:28:05.516 seq 28 5 = CreateFile( \\?\usb#vid_1b1c&pid_0c08#7289_2.0#{3c5e1462-5695-4e18-876b-f3f3d08aaf18} ) Access is denied"

If you get this then something is wonky. You should be able to set Test Limit to 1,000,000 and the test for run for a long time with no errors. If you are seeing this is would be helpful if you checked Menu->Help->Lock Handle to confirm CL4 + HWM are not active.

You may wish to setup an LCD Panel to show the SIV information you are interested in, see the SIV User Guide for how to do this.

BTW you should update to SIV 5.21 and get the latest user guide. Both were released on Friday 14-Jul-2017, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=911676

here in New Zealand

It would be good if you used http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile to set your location so we know your time zone.

Hi Red-Ray,

I will re-run the Link Test tonight with a test limit of 1,000, 000 and report back. Hopefully it is all working as intended.

I have updated to SIV 5.21 and have downloaded the manual so I can setup the LCD Screen.

Can you tell me is it ok to use "Realtemp 3.70" just so I can see current CPU temp and Max CPU temp. Does Realtemp conflict with SIV as it only reports CPU Temps.

Can you tell me is it ok to use "Realtemp 3.70" just so I can see current CPU temp and Max CPU temp. Does Realtemp conflict with SIV as it only reports CPU Temps.

I think that Realtemp just reads the THERM_STATUS + TEMPERATURE_TARGET MSRs and if so then it's OK.

If it reads IA32_OC_MAILBOX then it's not OK as looking at [Lock Handle] then it does not have a handle to Global\Access_Intel_OC_Mailbox. The only to know is to ask it's author.

With SIV it's easy to know which MSRs it's accessing as they are listed on Menu->Hardware->CPUID->CPU-0.

If Realtemp displays something that you can't have on a SIV LCD panel and you tell me what it is I suspect I will be able to add this for you :idea:.

I think that Realtemp just reads the THERM_STATUS + TEMPERATURE_TARGET MSRs and if so then it's OK.

If it reads IA32_OC_MAILBOX then it's not OK as looking at [Lock Handle] then it does not have a handle to Global\Access_Intel_OC_Mailbox. The only to know is to ask it's author.

With SIV it's easy to know which MSRs it's accessing as they are listed on Menu->Hardware->CPUID->CPU-0.

If Realtemp displays something that you can't have on a SIV LCD panel and you tell me what it is I suspect I will be able to add this for you :idea:.

Hi there Red-Ray,

Thanks for your help thus far. I've downloaded and am running latest version of SIV (thank you for attaching it for me).

I have also printed out the new User Guide to look at configuring LCD Panels so I can view information on my my 2nd monitor.

If I have indeed found the problem and am able to control cooler without it freezing then I would like to (with your approval) somehow create a tutorial for not so savvy first time users I think a youtube video would be great so people can watch a tutorial.

I'm going to head home tonight and run the Link Test set to 1,000,000 and make sure it completes with no errors and then play Flight Simulator and make sure cooler functions.

I have removed CPUID HWMONITOR off my PC and currently just have Realtemp (temporarily until I can configure SIV LCD Screen) and SIV running.

Thank you red-ray, I know you've been frustrated with me at times but thank you for persevering and helping find the problem......touch wood :)

I would like to (with your approval) somehow create a tutorial for not so savvy first time users I think a youtube video would be great so people can watch a tutorial.

I know you've been frustrated with me at times but thank you for persevering and helping find the problem.

I find it quite hard to know what new SIV users find tricky so a video would be great. Your CPUID HWMonitor issue is quite unusual and I am wondering if you should even mention it. You could post to http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137428 and link to youtube.

It's more frustration that I couldn't figure out the issue, but once you told me HWM was reporting the H80iV2 information all became instantly clear.

When there are strange effects to me it's obvious that I should test with just SIV interacting with the hardware and check what happens. It would be good if you mentioned this and also that if other utilities are being used their names and versions should be specified.

Usually having AIDA64 + HWiNFO + SIV active at the same time is OK provided you use the latest versions of them. Using a mix of old and new may cause issues and in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=911991 using a very old HWiNFO caused issues.

BTW what was the CPUID HWM version number?

Sorry Red-Ray I didn't look at the Version of CPUIDHWmonitor I just uninstalled it.

It all makes sense though especially before I was using your software. I had many problems with CL4 and we I first installed it on my original H80I (the original H80i not GT or V2) everything ran fine and I was using AIDA64 to report everything including cooler information.

However when the H80i started dying it got replaced with the V2 under warranty and that's when I began having problems with it freezing so after uninstalled an early version of AIDA64 things worked ok for a while but then I used cpuid hwmonitor and problems began again but I didn't put 2 & 2 together.

I'm going to do a 2 hour flight on my Flight Sim tonight and see if the cooler freezes or not with not having cpuid hwmonitor installed, if so problem may be fixed thank goodness.

I will run that Link Test tomorrow and see if I get any errors.

I've never made a video for youtube and I don't have a capture card on my PC so what's the best way to do a video tutorial with sound?

I will post on the corsair forum about my experience once ive made sure it's resolved once and for all.

Before I contacted the forum about using SIV I had sent a couple of tickets to corsair and I would like to have thought they might have asked about conflicting software being installed and then I would have had problems for so long, but that doesn't matter now if the problem is fixed.

I've never made a video for youtube and I don't have a capture card on my PC so what's the best way to do a video tutorial with sound?

I will run that [Link Test] tomorrow and see if I get any errors.

Neither have I so can't really help. I know some SIV users have and they may.

OK, lets see what happens. Below you can see 10,000,000 took 10 hours so I expect 1,000,000 to take around an hour. When I added [Link Test] it was not to find Asetek cooler locking issues and the fact that it does is an unexpected bonus :biggrin:.

All the history now makes total sense as is common with hindsight. I find that finding the root cause of an issue is often far harder than fixing it. OK about no HWM version, in your position I would also just have expunged it. I have e-mailed the CPUID guys so they are at lest aware of the bug in their code.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30255&stc=1&d=1500282719

701578139_LinkTest10000000.png.a9dd48b7953203d2d81b4e3dc7373564.png

Neither have I so can't really help. I know some SIV users have and they may.

Thanks red-ray, I'll run the 1 hour Link Test the next time I get a chance.

I'll do some research on google and see about doing a video tutorial.

Let's see if the problem is fixed. I noticed you said AIDA64 works with SIV, I primarily used AIDA64 when I was overclocking my CPU and testing so if it go to hot AIDA64 would shutdown my PC and email me.

But I will stick with SIV as it is a nice light piece of software and from first impressions seems to have everything I need.

Well it froze with Realtemp running. I have disabled/enabled the driver and closed Realtemp and now running to see if it still freezes.

If it freezes please bring up [Link Test] and post the screen shot. Post [Cooling Status] as well.

Sorry red-ray I forgot. I have deleted RealTeamp, and have been running for about 20 minutes again now since the last freeze.

I am in the middle of Flight Simulator now with still 1 hour to go. If it freezes again (I hope it doesn't) I will post the Link Test & Cooling Status as-well.

Archived