Corsair Community

Which cooler?

barbz127

Hi all,

Looking to replace a dh15s - reason been for athestics, space to work and hopefully a couple of degrees.

Case is a fractal define s and cpu is a 7700k at 5ghz (and hot).

The idea at the moment is to pick a 280mm cooler and set it up with push/pulls and front mounted - if that doesnt work/come off Ill go a single set of fans and top mount it.

Re fans I currently own a couple of noctua 140mm pwm fans which I would probably keep/buy more of.

To be fair im not super keen on the I models due to the additional cables/software - the 105 appeals to me but noise is a concern.

Any comments/questions/feedback?

Thankyou

If you are looking at the 280mm and don't want the Link/LED features, you might look at the prior H110 model that is still available most places (on sale at Corsair right now). Simple 3 pin connector for power. It comes with fans, but use your own. 1500 rpm pump speed is quiet and that is usually the hang up going from air to water. It will likely cost nearly as much as a newer H110i/H115i, but it also cools as well on anything except continual torture where the higher pump speed can make a small difference. It can handle my HW-E's at 1.30v, so cooling capacity on Kaby won't be an issue. However, be aware no cooler will take down your peak temps. You will get a reduction in average CPU temperature, but that spike to 70C when you launch an application will still be there. The cooler can't cure that condition.

Not sold on the 280 just figured it was my best bet for cooling capacity.

No H110's locally but there is the H105 which I know uses the thicker radiator and is tempting - hard to find information comparing it to the H110/H115.

with regards to the i models - can they be run without setting up the link software/connecting fans to the cpu?

Yes, I would prefer the H110i (versus H115i) if you are not going to run Link. I don't think you will see much cooling differences with a 95W CPU between these coolers. The difference is the 280's can achieve the same level of cooling with lower fan speeds. That may or may not matter to you and some people with large 120mm fan collections prefer the 240mm size.

Yes, the H110i + H115i don't need CL4 to control them. The can also be reported by AIDA64, HWiNFO and SIV (my utility).

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796027 for why you should get a CoolIT H110i :nodding: rather than an Asetek H115i :(:.

Thanks - if throwing this in the front as an intake is there any benefit to upgrading the fans and moving to push pull?

Also whats thoughts on installing a third intake fan if there is space at the front that doesnt go through the radiator?

You should use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra to add your PC specs to your profile so we can easily check them and a link to the case specs would be sensible.

Given a 95 watt CPU push/pull is total overkill on a 280mm cooler, but ML140 fans should be quieter than the stock SP140L ones.

In general I prefer top exhaust push, can the case handle that?

You should use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra to add your PC specs to your profile so we can easily check them and a link to the case specs would be sensible.

Given a 95 watt CPU push/pull is total overkill on a 280mm cooler, but ML140 fans should be quieter than the stock SP140L ones.

In general I prefer top exhaust push, can the case handle that?

Thankyou

Yes the case can do that but I have an AMD Fury vid card with an open cooler and it gets warm - was leaning towards the front mount for that reason.

I might go push-pull on the 38mm H105 just as a way to shave a few hundred RPM of the front fans. 120's tend to get a little buzzy in that middle ground, but if sound if not a big issue than space and convenience may win out.

You don't need push pull on the 280, but theoretically the extra set of fans might let you get the same volume of air through the radiator with less speed in the middle and low rpm range.

If you have the option to run another fan on the front not encumbered by the radiator, you should. However, is that a valid reason to go 240mm instead of 280mm? That is very case specific and I am not sure I have a definitive answer. On the 400Q that lower fan may only feed toward the PSU and likely does not help with much. I might lean toward the 280mm, if front mounted, but then i don't know if you can put that up top, limiting your flexibility.

I might go push-pull on the 38mm H105 just as a way to shave a few hundred RPM of the front fans. 120's tend to get a little buzzy in that middle ground, but if sound if not a big issue than space and convenience may win out.

You don't need push pull on the 280, but theoretically the extra set of fans might let you get the same volume of air through the radiator with less speed in the middle and low rpm range.

If you have the option to run another fan on the front not encumbered by the radiator, you should. However, is that a valid reason to go 240mm instead of 280mm? That is very case specific and I am not sure I have a definitive answer. On the 400Q that lower fan may only feed toward the PSU and likely does not help with much. I might lean toward the 280mm, if front mounted.

Thankyou - the 400q is as good as gone - I have hated it since the day I bought it and will be replacing with a define s or phanteks enthoo evolv.

Define is well and truely open whereas the phanteks has a similar setup to the 400q for fans.

Thankyou - the 400q is as good as gone - I have hated it since the day I bought it and will be replacing with a define s or phanteks enthoo evolv.

Define is well and truely open whereas the phanteks has a similar setup to the 400q for fans.

I would get a http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-s top exhaust push mount the 55mm think H110i and have as many fans as needed in the front to keep the GPU, etc. cool.

Archived