Corsair Community

Fan Control by Mobo with Carbide Series 100

theBitz

I would like to use the option on the motherboard of choice that monitors both temperature and controls speed in a Carbide Series 100 R Silent Edition case. The case has a three speed controller which I would like to bypass and plug directly into the board but cannot find if this is possible and if so the pin geometry for the two fans provided. I believe you need 4 pins to both monitor speed and control. Appreciate.

That will depend on the controls offered by your motherboard. The fans on the case are DC type. Their speed is altered by increasing or decreasing voltage. Surely your motherboard can do this, but you need to check the manual and available headers. What kind of control variables are available will depend on your BIOS and/or software.

Do understand your point about my motherboard which will be a Gigabyte that has four, what they call hybrid connectors, that can handle either three or four pin with software that understands and controls speed via the third pin a 3 pin is inserted and the 4or PWM pin if a 4 pin is connected. Can I bypass the cases three speed controller and plug into the board - I could not find reference to a DC connector, only type of fan, so am unsure of your answer.

Yes, they are case fans like any other. There is no requirement to use the fan controller. It is supposed to be for convenience. With the rise of desktop fan control software, the mechanical fan controller is in decline, but some people still prefer the simplest form of control.

Instead of connecting them to fan controller, connect them directly to your motherboard fan headers. They are surely 3 pin DC fans and will only fit one way on the header. The controller has 3 settings (likely 5,7, and 12v). Your board will show that as percentages and likely offer more granular tuning.

I thank you. The motherboard appears to have excellent software and even hardware, the flexible headers that can handle either 3 or 4 pin and control speed. I am going with a stock Intel fan initially with gaming not a primary passion - but it could happen and I can easily upgrade video card, CPU and case cooling.

Archived