Corsair Community

H100i v2 Pump Question

rx7dude

Hey all,

Was just wondering wether I should keep my pump speed at 100% all the time. I read online that this should be the case as pumps need maximum flow. However won't this reduce the pumps life? Also if I should keep it at 100% what speed would be ideal for the fans? Thanks!

The pump speed really doesn't matter too much. The H100i v2 has a high/low setting toggle labeled Performance and Quiet. You can use either. Some people in quiet environments think the High is too loud. Others gaming with headsets have no idea what the pump even sounds like. Very usage specific. As for the lifespan, there is no provision in the warranty about the speed you choose nor do I think it makes a difference whether or not your pump will fail. For those people who experienced a problem in the first year or two, it wasn't because of the pump speed they were running. That said, logic dictates the faster your run, the more turns it makes, the greater the wear. I would still recommend using whatever setting you desire and ignoring lifespan issues. The chances of you still using this model 4 or 5 years from now are slim, for any number of reasons from defect to change in circumstance or case build.

Most of the stuff you see about "needing maximum flow" may relate to the voltage supplied to the pump. Most pumps need a constant 12v to function properly. Reducing the voltage slows the pump speed, but few pumps are designed to be run in this fashion. You should not try and control Corsair pump this way. The H100iv2 is PWM and alters speed with a signal, not a voltage reduction.

Fan speed is a little tricky and is case layout specific. I am going to assume you would have the H100iv2 as exhaust in the top of a standard designed tower. Hooked into the pump, the fans will base their speed on the coolant temperature in the unit (H100i v2 Temp). That is what the fans do -- help displace heat emanating from the radiator as the coolant flows through it. They cannot directly affect CPU temp. Use the default curves at first as your get the feel of things. Take not of your beginning and peak coolant temperatures. For most people, this might be about 5-7C when under moderate to higher loads. That 5-7C is the most you can ever reduce the CPU temps with any fan speed and 100% efficiency is unlikely. The benefit of a larger radiator is you can just let it sit there with a steady low to moderate fan speed and nothing else is required.

One thing to remember is your coolant temp is also affected by room and case temperature. Heat up the case with your 980 Ti x 2 and your coolant temp (and everything else) will also be high. Same thing if your room temp is 30C on a Summer afternoon. The radiator fans cannot address this and if my room/case temp is 35C, the coolant cannot go below 35C. This is more useful for understanding daily changes in coolant temperature and learning how to adapt your fan curves for different seasons.

...in the pull configuration because that's what LinusTechTips said was best.

Ugh. Worst video ever made. Put the fans anyway you want, above (pull) or below (push), but I do recommend exhaust for most people. Neither position will have any impact on your dust accumulation. Your room environment will play a much larger role in that and doing a little Spring cleaning every three months is part of owning a computer.

Archived