Corsair Community

problems adding 2nd 512 MB module

alex666

I've owned CMX512-3200C2 XMS memory for 18 months, with no problems. I initially ran it at 333 on a soltek mobo. For the past 6 months, it's been running on a albatron kx600s pro kt-600 mobo with a 2500 amd mobile processor running at 2400 to 2600. Memory settings have been 2-2-3-7, with cmd rate of 1. Vdimm is 2.65 (the lowest setting for this mobo).

I just purchased another module of this memory so I could have a gig of memory, same specs, same "CMX512-3200C2 XMS" memory, slightly different id number, and I get constant crashes whenever I run the two modules together. I've tried different dimm slots, no change. I've run each module separately with memtest86 and each will run stable at 2.5-3-3-6, cmd rate1, but when I run them together, after about 21 minutes of no errors, I suddenly get this deluge of errors, I mean, literally thousands of errors in a matter of seconds, and then the errors stop and the memtest continues.

I'm going to try changing the dimm slots one more time, but my message here is HELP. I'm wondering if I should up the voltage to 2.7. I've got a 510W Vantec psu which seems to run fine, I've had no problems with it.

Thanks. My first time to this forum.

marty

Welcome to HoH!!!

Was in your shoes recently...wanted to upgrade from 512 to a gig.

Problem is, while you can get the same model number, getting the same REVISION number is tough.

Sometimes, and I think this is such a case, same model/different revisions won't play nice together. I've seen it happen many, many times....

First, check the new stick with memtest by itself to rule out a defective module. If it passes my guess is that it's the revision difference.

If you have a local retailer, you may be able to go in and see if they have what you want in the same revision. Doing this online is a crap shoot. This is why I have a perfect pair of XMS PC2700 (256x2) just sitting here looking at me, wondering where they will now be used. I replaced them with some TwinX1024-3200c2pt for an upcoming A64 build...

Good luck!

Archived