Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Memtest86+ Errors

CloudZeroX

Hi all, I've been experiencing some program shutdowns and blue screens lately, leading me to suspect my memory to be an issue. After a quick run of memtest86+ showed a bunch of errors with my ram. I have a pretty old setup, it's been 5 years since I've built it.

I had Windows 10 for a couple of months and recently reinstalled it a couple weeks ago however it led to blue screen errors such as bad_pool_header. A couple hours ago I reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate to hopefully fix my memory issues as I had no problem with Windows 7 but to no avail. Programs still close randomly and I occasionally blue screen.

I have set my BIOS values to defaults options but still I get errors. Additionally, the RAM is rated at 1600mhz but when I check the CPU-Z and BIOS values it states that the RAM runs at 1333mhz. After running memtest86+, I got 442 Errors found within the first 5 minutes of running it. I then changed my BIOS values to use the XMP profile so that the RAM would run at 1600mhz but after running memtest86+ again, within the first 3 minutes it has found 756 errors.

I tested using only 1 stick (at 1600mhz with XMP profile) and memtest86+ ran for 3 hours with 4 passes and no errors so I decided to test the other RAM stick. It also resulted in no errors for the first couple hours until I left it overnight where by 7 hours, 504 errors resulted around the 10th pass.

I am unsure of what I am to do at this point. Suggestions? Thanks.

Edit: The image of memtest86+ running with dual channel was taken after I tested the other RAM stick for 7 hours and it had actually lasted much longer (around an hour) without errors unlike the first time I tested dual channel where I started getting errors within the first few minutes.

801710895_RAMStick.thumb.jpg.76114548b095ac7a1bd384db7ed355e8.jpg

1919732256_SingleStick.thumb.jpg.f97ba2ab8c2c775cb08377823980533e.jpg

886002463_RunningDualChannel.thumb.jpg.abf4bdb9278da329d4fa3d7d03f83234.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

looks to me like one bad stick.

why:

when you tested only one stick, the error pops up somewhere around 3300mb and it seems like there are a few errors at one spot. usually a indication for a faulty chip.

when you tested with both sticks the error came up around 7300mb, would be logic since you just added ~4000mb of memory and since the memtest86 is a serial test you proofed that the problem is persistent.

i would recommend to run a full test over night again with the one that's supposed to be good. if no errors coming up you can be pretty sure that you got a bad stick in the set.

good luck!

looks to me like one bad stick.

why:

when you tested only one stick, the error pops up somewhere around 3300mb and it seems like there are a few errors at one spot. usually a indication for a faulty chip.

when you tested with both sticks the error came up around 7300mb, would be logic since you just added ~4000mb of memory and since the memtest86 is a serial test you proofed that the problem is persistent.

i would recommend to run a full test over night again with the one that's supposed to be good. if no errors coming up you can be pretty sure that you got a bad stick in the set.

good luck!

Hi yeah turns out it was just one bad stick. I purchased another set of the exact same RAM and instead run it in triple channel setup and it has been working perfectly for the past week. Thanks for the reply though!

Archived