Corsair Community

Quiet fans for h100i v2? What are my options?

Everborn128

No, you can't have it all. Wide blade pressure orientated fans, like the SP120, move more air than other types of fans at lower speeds, but become noisier at moderate and high speeds without a big return in CFM. A slightly more open hybrid design (like most 120mm fans) will be quieter because of the blade shape, but won't move as much air at low speeds so you need to run them faster to keep the same volume of air movement. Faster means more noise. You have to make a compromise somewhere.

There are a lot of choices in 120mm fans. You want to poke around the interent for fan reviews and check out very discriminating sites like SilentPCReview. You may be happier with a hybrid designed blade that will be quieter at low speeds and for desktop work where a 1-3C difference is irrelevant. Just make sure whatever you pick is PWM if you want to power them through the pump block and Link.

In order to determine if more fan speed might be helpful, you need to compare your before and after gaming water temperatures (H100i v2 Temp - last box in Link). When you cold boot up, it will be the same as room temp and then slowly increase 3-6C or so in the first 10 minutes before leveling off. That is your baseline warm idle temp and about as low as you can go. After 30-60-90 minutes of gaming or however long you normally play, check the H100i v2 Temp again as well as the "peak" value. If you started at 30C and the peak was 36C, the most you can possibly reduce CPU core temps with any level of fan speed is 6C. If your delta is small, you won't get much out of changing fans, other than a sound change. If it is larger than expected, then you may want to take a hard look at your settings.

Push-pull is another tricky call. 4 identical fans at 1000 rpm will move more air the 2 at the same speed, but perhaps the same as 2 fans at 1400 rpm. So what's louder? 4@1000 rpm or 2@1400? There isn't a clear answer and it is often very fan dependent. I usually counsel against push-pull for most people. However, it sounds like you have a clear speed target in mind and at the lower speeds 4 fans at 800-1000 rpm is probably a winner over 2 x 1200rpm. As speed increases, the benefits of push pull diminish. It offers the largest benefits at lower speeds and hybrid style fans are most likely to benefit from push pull compared to a static pressure orientated blade.

The included stock fans are not my favorite, but I am picky. If you want to change the sound profile, pick new fans and get 2. If it turns out you need to run them faster than you like, you can then evaluate whether or not to add a second pair in an effort to drop speeds.

Also, do you guys leave your pump on high or low? I notice no noise difference from the two settings.

That's good. That's how it's supposed to be. Generally speaking, flow rate is not a limiting factor on double size AIO coolers (240 and 280mm). A faster flow rate lets each unit of water make more trips from cold to radiator and back over a given period of time. However, more trips per unit of time may not lead to a reduction in overall water temperature if the unit is already releasing as much heat as it can. The longer you run the load, the more influential it may be. If you can't hear, pick whichever you like. If the thermal results are the same, I would opt for the lower speed.

Take a look at the ML120 Pro series fans. You can google up a sound test for comparison to the SP120 series. They are not inexpensive, but that is the blade style you may find preferable. It is more open than the SP120, but not nearly as much as an AF120. The ML series still have a very high 2400 RPM limit, so if it's not just operating noise but start up volume as well, look at the Silent PC Review website (or elsewhere) and take a good look at their preferred models. Remember, it needs to be PWM.

While there are times peak CPU core temperatures matter, in games make you sure compare them to the average or use a line graph monitoring program where you can see the temp line. So many games have bad areas or loading screens that cause the CPU usage to momentarily spike, but are otherwise not reflective of the normal game load.

As far as hardware goes, compare the H100i v2 Temp (water temperature) to these CPU core temps. Take both a start and end/peak water temp as described in post #4. That should help distinguish between a cooler issue or fan speed and everything else.

I like Aida64 for monitoring. It's very useful for keeping tabs on specific cores and it is the one software program I will pay for. You can try the free version to see if you like it. You can somewhat do the same thing by keeping OCCT or Intel XTU open and stretched across the screen. It will work in a pinch.

This is Aida using the "stress test" window as a rolling graph. The window shows about 20 minutes of gaming.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii559/c-attack/Snapshot%209.8.16_zps6dbcstib.png' alt='Snapshot%209.8.16_zps6dbcstib.png'>

Also, any good programs you recommend that I can see while playing or that shows a bar graph like that? Maybe I need more case airflow? I have two 120mm fans intake then one 140mm fan out. Also my two fans on the cooler that push out.

Case airflow will help with reducing case ambient temperatures of if you have a particularly large delta between room temperature and water temperature. People on the high side might be 7C over the room temp and the best possible is usually around 3C, so again small gains to be had for blasting the fans. Of course, there are other reasons you might want more case fan speed, but it is difficult to reduce general ambient temperature. I don't see a problem with your set-up.

The temps dropped 2c on stress testing so at least it's something. The biggest thing gained was noise reduction with the fan upgrade for sure. I reapplied thermal paste to the CPU to make sure that wasn't the issue(again). I guess my next step is to just game & do exactly what you said and see if most of the time it's under 70c, if so I guess there's not much to worry about.

Also in the process of playing with all this I found out my two front 120mm 1500rpm fans were running at 800rpm the entire time. I had them hooked to an oldschool hookup. I now have them running through the MB headers & kicking up to correct levels..HUGE difference in case airflow! Also my water temps sit about 15f higher then the room temp?I haven't tried testing after I fixed the front fans yet though.

Archived