Corsair Community

H115i on X99 Strix CPU temp and slow running issue

Vael

Hello,

I don't normally post on forums for fear of being called mean things but I have an issue with my new pc build and you guys seem to know what you're talking about. Also I'm being driven insane...

The build is 2 months in the making as my previous mobo of choice, the MSI Gaming 7 x99 decided that it didn't want to play ball. My specs are now as follows:

Board: ASUS x99 ROG Strix

CPU: Intel i7 6800k

Cooler: Corsair h115i

RAM: Trident 3200 mhz

PSU: Corsair 750w

GPU: MSI GTX 980ti (unsure if required but posting for clarity).

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro

SSD: Intel....something or other. Not entirely sure but can update if needed.

The issue:

This is my first PC build. I've been in and out of my old pre-built pc numerous times and know how things work in there. I figured with this PC that I'd try and save a lil' bit of money and build it myself. The CPU, Cooler, RAM, and Case are all brand new items bought for this build and not previously used.

The issue begins with my CPU temps climbing way higher than they should. I have mounted, dismounted, and remounted my cooler multiple times (noting that the thermal paste has indeed been spread around the CPU, pea technique), and even reseated the CPU, every time cleaning the old stuff away before reapplying. Upon power on, the computer seems to move very slowly, especially considering my old i5 and SSD (drive is now in this build) used to boot to windows within 20 seconds of me pressing the button. I can struggle my way into the ASUS bios where I can see that the CPU temp slowly begins climbing from 45 to upwards of 80 degrees. It is at this point I begin to freak out.

The curious thing is that I can hear the Cooler pump working, all fans come on and motherboard doesn't simply "not post" (which my old mobo suffered from). I have plugged the 3 pin connector into the water pump header of my board. The CPU header is occupied by the Case's fan controller (which currently only controls my forward and rear case fans). Putting the CPU cooler's fans into this header makes them run at full RPM and my PC sounds like a plane leaving Heathrow. My fans are connected to the cooler via the heat block connectors and the SATA cable is indeed connected to a SATA lead from my PSU. The corsair link USB is even plugged in.

I am at a loss gentlemen and would welcome some thoughts on the cause. Every other part is securely connected to my mobo. My block is as tightly screwed onto the cpu socket as I'm comfortable with (only exceptionally excessive force would tighten it further) with the standoffs in a similar way. It may be a contact issue but then why would the paste be spread so evenly if that was the case? I've had the cooler unopened but unused for at least 3 weeks at this point so not sure RMA is in the realm of possibility.

You should add your PC specs to your profile rather than posting then and you also need to specify the Windows version and build number. To do this press Edit System Specs.

Can you post a screen shot of the CL4 [Home] tab so we can see all the temperatures, pump and fan speeds?

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry about the stuff I didn't do, still new to posting on forums. I've attached some pics of my bios splash page and main monitor page for perusal. Windows is Windows 10 64 bit but that's all I can tell you because it takes so long to get into the OS that the processor's risen temp makes it too slow to do anything and I'm forced to shut down. Similarly, I couldn't take screenshots, so I've had to take pics of my screen from my phone. They've been uploaded in reverse. Hopefully they'll suffice.

If you need any more information then please ask so, preferably in simple speak so that confusion doesn't occur.

13898512_10154326106144351_2003617888_o.thumb.jpg.6baeb621eb9956e472df69b654a10726.jpg

13901618_10154326106099351_1136203170_o.thumb.jpg.0e2b5838af3181298a553e7624a60079.jpg

13940004_10154326106179351_476811228_o.thumb.jpg.0da315521b22c45db540ce78f460c39b.jpg

13950613_10154326106254351_1365632794_o.thumb.jpg.6cc6e10a021c72f0668e397ca0058abc.jpg

Hi Ray, as I've stated before I cannot get into Windows without the CPU temps causing my whole pc to freeze up. Therefore I cannot access (let alone download and install) Corsair Link. Nor could I tell you the Windows 10 build number for similar reasons. This is an issue with CPU temp that is happening from me pressing the power button to it ramping to at least 65 (guesstimate) degrees before Windows even boots. Which, I reiterate, now also takes ages compared to my previous, less powerful machine. I am wondering whether I plugged everything in correctly (pretty sure I have) or whether there is a faulty part somewhere.

Given we can't get the H115i coolant temperature and pump speed this makes things tricky to diagnose.

Do you have another PC/laptop that you could plug the H115i USB connection into? You will need to use a mini-USB to USB-A cable.

Unfortunately not, were you gonna suggest utilising the block usb cable to run CL on another pc? I'm at a complete loss and the lack of access to an OS makes this all the more difficult and frustrating. I don't know what else to try.

Unfortunately not, were you gonna suggest utilising the block usb cable to run CL on another pc?

Yes. I usually test my CL hardware on a different PC before installing it in the target system.

I suspect there is either some blockage in the H115i or the pump is faulty, but without knowing the coolant temperature and pump speed this is nothing more than a guess.

One of the reasons I prefer the H110i to the H115i is that it reports the pump rather than a fan speed to the motherboard fan header, so you can at least get the pump speed.

All I can suggest is you ask for a H115i RMA via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp and see what they say.

Where is you get the H115i? Could you return it and get a refund?

Hi Ray,

I bought the H115i from Amazon roughly 3 weeks ago and it's been open and mounted in my case since then (see previous rant about failed pc build) so unsure whether I'd be able to RMA at this point. I do have a suggestion which may give me access to corsair link. I'm on my partner's Mac atm and may be able to download the installer for CL, transfer it to a USB drive, then quickly boot into windows on my machine to get some results before the CPU temp causes a freeze. I'll post back whether or not this was successful.

If you do manage to install CL4 you may need to use Windows Device Manager to update the H115i driver before CL4 will work. I guess at the moment it has a yellow triangle (does it ?), Right/Click on the H115i device and select Update Driver.

But if it's faulty surely you can return it.

Managed to get CL installed but on the one try I could open it, it displayed nothing but blank information (most likely due to what you stated above). I tried again 5 mins later and went to the device manager and tried to update the drivers but it wouldn't have it. Ethernet cable definitely connected and CL was screaming at me to update it so internet was definitely there. I'll have 1 more try tonight as I'm getting frustrated with it now. I'll leave it a bit before I do the mad dash to update drivers / CL. In the interim I'm gonna go have a look see at Amazon's returns policy. I am worried that it isn't the cooler and is instead another component but we shall have to wait until a new cooler arrives. Might go with your suggestion of the h110i. Cheers for your help, Ray. I'll report back here if I make any progress / when the new cooler arrives.

When you cold boot up and hit the BIOS screen, is the CPU temp already at 80C+? Or does is start the slow climb of death while you are watching? It's pretty difficult to get an X99 mount wrong. I am more inclined to believe there is a flow problem with the H115i. However, I am also concerned you can't get past the BIOS and as Ray mentioned, we are making an educated guess based on the information we have.

You can file a support ticket for RMA and you are not obligated to follow through. However, my recommendation is to return it to Amazon as defective. They are too friendly and too fast not to take advantage of their return policy on a new unit. You normally will have a replacement or a different choice in 2-3 days.

You could download the drivers I attached to http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=856104 and install them. They are the ones that come with CL 4.2.4.25 and all the earlier CL4 releases.

You can always RMA it via Corsair and they have an express option so they send you the new cooler before they get the old cooler. As the cooler is < 28 days old I also think Corsair pay the postage.

From your Heathrow comment I guess you are in England and last time I did an RMA the new unit arrived the next working day. The RMA location is basically Scan in Bolton.

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796027 for all the reasons I prefer the H110i.

Haha I like the cutthroat attitude towards returns. That'll probably be what I end up doing, C-attack. It takes far too long for the mobo splash screen "Republic of Gamers" and the option to hit Del or F2 to enter the bios to appear. In response to your question, it starts the climb of death from what I can tell the moment it starts getting any voltage. So it's not 80 degrees when I open the bios but depending on how quickly I get into the bios, it can start at 40 or 50 then begin the climb to its fiery demise. I am 99% sure (your post made me -1%!) that I have mounted the cooler correctly.

I have just tried for what I believe will be the final time to get into my pc. I managed to look around for roughly 10 seconds before I opened CPU temps and they were in the 90s. I think to avoid damaging my CPU any more than I may already have done I am gonna abandon this, chaps. It saddens me as there are plenty of youtube vids of people installing this cooler no problem and I have been sure to watch them all in their entirety incase I did anything wrong but alas, me and the h115i were not meant to be.

In response to your question, it starts the climb of death from what I can tell the moment it starts getting any voltage. So it's not 80 degrees when I open the bios but depending on how quickly I get into the bios, it can start at 40 or 50 then begin the climb to its fiery demise. I am 99% sure (your post made me -1%!) that I have mounted the cooler correctly.

That is the classic indicator of a flow problem, whether it is a blockage or some other type of pump mechanical failure. Unfortunately, this a situation where not being able to see the pump speed in the BIOS is a pain, although confirmation of a the normal speed does not mean there isn't an issue. The pump motor can spin all day, but if the water isn't going anywhere you still have the same problem.

The pump motor can spin all day, but if the water isn't going anywhere you still have the same problem.

I get the impression that when the pump is not actually moving coolant the speed is faster than usual. Have you also noticed this please?

I do think that is the case sometimes, although whether it is a condition of a motor defect or the environment created by a physical blockage, I can't be sure. Either way, I don't like the number of partial flow restrictions that are appearing.

Archived