Corsair Community

Spec-03 Build - Fan Questions

FuriusBuckeye

After upgrading every component in an old case over the past 3 weeks, I am now upgrading the case with a new SPEC-03... just placed the order.

In the old case, I upgraded the case fans with Two AF120 Quiet Red, and will move these to the new case. I don't play anything that is going to push hardware, but for the hell of it, I am going to fill every spot with a fan.

Here is my question- what are the specifications on the two fans included with the SPEC-03? I have really enjoyed the new AF120 Quiets in the old case, and want similar quality and noise.

Here is my plan:

AF 140 Quiet Red - Center Front

SP 120 Quiet Black - Lower Front (I can't find a Black SP140 Quiet, does that exist?)

My existing Two AF120 Quiet Reds in the top.

That leaves the back and bottom, which if the stock fan is equivelent to the AF120 Quiet, or even the same color as the AF120 Quiet Reds, I will use that in the back.

As long as the stock black back fan is quiet, put that in the bottom.

If the stock fans are not similar in noise and color to the AF120s, then I want to know if I should go ahead and order another twin pack of AF120s.

Q1: Are the stock fans similar (or exactly the same) as AF120 quiets.

Q2: Does a SP140 Black quiet exist?

Q3: My mobo has 3 4-pin headers (in addition to the CPU header). Should I buy a controller to handle the addional fans, or just some splitters? Any danger of using the splitters?

Q4: For my CX-600M, should I mount this Fan Up, or Fan Down?

Q5: I am considering getting the braided 24-pin, 8-pin, and PCI-E extention cables, is there enough room on the cable management side of the case for the molex connectors to connect to the extension cables?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

Q1: Are the stock fans similar (or exactly the same) as AF120 quiets.

Q2: Does a SP140 Black quiet exist?

Q3: My mobo has 3 4-pin headers (in addition to the CPU header). Should I buy a controller to handle the addional fans, or just some splitters? Any danger of using the splitters?

Q4: For my CX-600M, should I mount this Fan Up, or Fan Down?

Q5: I am considering getting the braided 24-pin, 8-pin, and PCI-E extention cables, is there enough room on the cable management side of the case for the molex connectors to connect to the extension cables?

Thanks!

1. They are not technically the same, but yes, very similar with the AF120s.

SPEC-03 Fan spec

CFM - 37.93

dBA - 21

mmH20 - 0.8

RPM - 1100

And here's the AF120 spec http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-af120-performance-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan

2. What do you mean by black quiet edition? black rings?

3. It depends on how many fans you'll be using. But for the most part, your mobo should have enough ports to handle a basic fan set up.

4. Fan down. You want the fan to draw fresh air from the outside the exhaust in the rear of the PSU.

5. There is space behind the mobo tray for extension cables, but very limited. You just have to plan your cable management more carefully.

Archived