Corsair Community

CX750m coil whine

SmoothFlanz

My CX750m had no coil whine until I got a GTX 970. The noise was coming from the PSU. Prior to the 970 I had 2 660's in SLI so the power draw is even less with the 970 I would think. I RMA'd the PSU and got a new one but it is still causing coil whine. The coil whine occurs under load like gaming or heaven benchmark.

Do you think a certain model PSU (CX750m) will always have coil whine issues with certain components or is it possible that the 970 causes the coil whine in the PSU?

I am currently asking that Corsair let me pay the difference to get a RM750i or RM750x.

If I can't do that I'll probably have to get a EVGA 970 G2 since my 970 is EVGA and they offered me a 30% off coupon on EVGA PSU's.

• Corsair Employee
There's a really good chance that your GPU is the one causing the coil whine and not the PSU. You even said it yourself, prior to your 970, your system had no coil whine at all. If you still have your 2 660s, try to put them back on with the replacement CX750M and see if you get the same result.

I sold the 660's. I also can't return the 970. If I tried to sell the 970 and buy something else it would cost a lot more than me buying another PSU.

Do you think this GPU would cause coil whine in all PSU's or is it just not compatible with the CX750m? I have read in many places that the motherboard/GPU/PSU combination is luck of the draw and you'll never know if you'll get coil whine with it.

Archived