Corsair Community

RAM Speeds & Latency on X99

HardLinePC

Hello. I am building a new PC on the X99 platform and am torn between a few Corsair Dominator Platinum kits. For reference, I will be using an Intel 5960X and an EVGA X99 Classified motherboard. At first I was looking at a 32gb kit (4x8gb) with a frequency of around 3000mhz and a latency of C15. I did notice that Corsair recently released a few kits that have a lower frequency of 2400mhz, but a latency of C10 & C12.

My question is this... On the X99 platform, will one benefit more from a higher clock speed or lower latency?

ex part #'s

CMD32GX4M4A2400C12

CMD32GX4M2C3200C16

• Corsair Employee

Benefit you in which way? Performance for gaming? Get either kit.

I'd obviously go with the 3200MT/s kit, however, just in case some applications you use or start using in the future benefit from higher frequency.

I guess what started my whole confusion was on some of the kits, especially those with frequencies over 3000mhz, the product page states "Designed for Intel 100 Series". I wasn't sure if I was buying the wrong product for my specific build (X99).

Also, the PC will be for gaming and media production :)

• Corsair Employee
Skylake is a little bit better for higher frequencies as opposed to X99, so I don't normally recommend higher than 3200 for X99. However, most high-end motherboards should not have an issue given the manufacturer puts them in their QVL.

Thank you for your quick replies and sorry for the multiple posts. I am ordering today so I want to make sure I choose wisely :)

Also, I was told that even though X99 supports quad-channel, it's still best to use just 4 DIMMs.

• Corsair Employee
Thank you for your quick replies and sorry for the multiple posts. I am ordering today so I want to make sure I choose wisely :)

Also, I was told that even though X99 supports quad-channel, it's still best to use just 4 DIMMs.

No problem.

And that is what 4 modules would do for you, function in quad channel mode.

Archived