Corsair Community

MSI Gaming Port for k70?

Nostalghia

On my MSI Gaming 5 Motherboard, theres two "Gaming Device Port", it doesn't say if it's a USB 2.0 or 3.0, but I plugged the keyboard looking wire into one of them and it seems to work fine, and the RBG also works, and in the other "Gaming Port" left over, I used it for my mouse.

My question is is the port USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 and does anyone have theirs plugged into the same port? And is it safe to use it like this?

EDIT: I just realized the keyboard still lights up with USB 2.0 with only one port plugged in. So what's the point of having 2 USB ports for the keyboard in the first place?

If you have the STRAFE/STRAFE RGB. Only one connector is needed, the other is for the USB pass though port found at the front of the keyboard.

If you have the K70 RGB/K95 RGB while it is recommended to use both connectors if you are using USB 2.0 though if its working fine for you, i wouldn't worry about it. But if you do encounter any problems related to the keyboard, connect the second one and see whether that resolves your issue.

You will most likely find out what kind of USB port it is by referring to your motherboard's user manual or look inside the port and compare it to a image of a USB 3.0 port and a USB 2.0 port on the internet.

If you have the STRAFE/STRAFE RGB. Only one connector is needed, the other is for the USB pass though port found at the front of the keyboard.

If you have the K70 RGB/K95 RGB while it is recommended to use both connectors if you are using USB 2.0 though if its working fine for you, i wouldn't worry about it. But if you do encounter any problems related to the keyboard, connect the second one and see whether that resolves your issue.

You will most likely find out what kind of USB port it is by referring to your motherboard's user manual or look inside the port and compare it to a image of a USB 3.0 port and a USB 2.0 port on the internet.

I forgot to say that I have a k70 rbg , and my motherboard doesnt tell you what kind of port it is, its just https://us.msi.com/pic/image/mb/9_series/gaming_5/connectivity-schema.jpg this.

I'll just plug both in since I have extra USB spaces. (One Gaming port and one USB 2.0 port, the other "gaming port" is for my mouse)

Thank you for the response.

Archived