Corsair Community

H110i GTX pump speed question

Berlihm

Hi, everyone,

I recently built a new system (pictures here) and my CPU cooler is a H100i GTX. I have Corsair Link 4 installed and haven't really done much with it but I was wondering when people use performance pump speed as opposed to the default quiet pump speed.

From what I can tell, there's no difference in cooling/temperatures when I try performance pump speed. Am I missing something? I have my fan speed set to "Default" as "Balanced" is a little loud and even on "Default" my overclocked i7-6700K (4.6GHz) has never been any higher than 69ºC (even after hours of gaming).

Thanks in advance. I hope you all have a great day.

Increasing the pump speed (flow rate) will increase the number of trips each unit of water can make between the CPU transfer plate and the radiator and back in a given amount of time. The more trips each unit of water makes, the more heat it can carry to the radiator fins to be released.

However, just like the fans, the flow rate does not directly affect the CPU temperature, but rather the water temperature instead. At idle, you are not likely to notice any difference. The cooler is going to be highly efficient and the flow rate is not likely to be a limiting factor. If your water temperature is only 5-9C above ambient, it is difficult to reduce that by more than 1-2C. It is already removing most of the heat it can. Although, running a higher pump speed may allow you to run slightly lower fan speeds with no increase in temperature. This may be a nice option on some set-ups.

Where the higher pump speed can be very useful is on long, sustained CPU loads. In those situations the combined high flow rate and fan speed can keep the water temperature several degrees lower, which has a much higher value as you approach your thermal limits.

Increasing the pump speed (flow rate) will increase the number of trips each unit of water can make between the CPU transfer plate and the radiator and back in a given amount of time. The more trips each unit of water makes, the more heat it can carry to the radiator fins to be released.

However, just like the fans, the flow rate does not directly affect the CPU temperature, but rather the water temperature instead. At idle, you are not likely to notice any difference. The cooler is going to be highly efficient and the flow rate is not likely to be a limiting factor. If your water temperature is only 5-9C above ambient, it is difficult to reduce that by more than 1-2C. It is already removing most of the heat it can. Although, running a higher pump speed may allow you to run slightly lower fan speeds with no increase in temperature. This may be a nice option on some set-ups.

Where the higher pump speed can be very useful is on long, sustained CPU loads. In those situations the combined high flow rate and fan speed can keep the water temperature several degrees lower, which has a much higher value as you approach your thermal limits.

Yeah thanks I kinda figured it would be something like that. As you said the unit is higly efficient and does a hell of a job keeping things nice and quite.

I have set it to quite but willl try some gaming tonight if it trully makes a difference. On the other hand I dont hear any change of noise volume if I sey to performance. Its as quite as the quite setting.

Thanks anyway

Thanks for your answer. All of that makes complete sense and I hadn't thought about it mainly just affecting the coolant temperature. My i7-6700K is overclocked to 4.6GHz and I've never seen it higher than 69ºC (my fan profile in Corsair Link is "Default") so I guess I've no need to increase the pump speed but this is great information nonetheless. Thanks. :)

Archived