Corsair Community

Corsair Spec 01 Case questions

pilot2fly

Hi guys,

I built my gaming setup about two years ago. It's currently in a Rosewill MicroATX sized case and only has 2 fans for the chassis (one for air in, one for air out). Recently, my CPU has been overheating (still on stock CPU fan) and I think it's time for new fans, CPU fan, and chassis.

I purchased the Corsair Spec 01 case on Amazon and liked that it has 5 slots for fans and filters already in the case. I purchased a 4 pack of Cooler Master 120MM fans and plan to put them in the new Corsair case. I know there is a fan slot in front of the hard drive bay in the Spec 01. Should I remove the hard drive bay completely if I install a fan in front of it? It seems like if there was a fan there, the air would get blocked by the hard drive bay.

This image shows how I am planning to place my fans. I'm only planning on one fan on top of the chassis. I plan to put my new Cooler Master Hyper T4 CPU with the fan blowing the air towards the back of the case where the rear case fan is located.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u432/jmlamb80/corsaircase_zpslrumwb9t.jpg

Is this a good setup? Should I remove the entire hard drive bay in order to install the second front fan, or is there a way to take part of the drive bay out without removing the entire bay? I still haven't received the Spec 01 yet, that's why I'm asking. Also, my motherboard only has USB 2.0 headers. Am I ok to plug in the USB 3.0 into a 2.0 motherboard slot?

• Corsair Employee

Thank you for choosing to upgrade your case with our Corsair Spec 01. The case does give you the flexibility to remove the cages depending on your setup and your placement of your SSD/HDDs in the case. The choice to remove the cage is more of a personal preference. Removing the bays will provide less restriction of airflow to the back of the case compared to leaving it installed. However, with the cage installed, airflow is not completely blocked, just more restricted. Without modifying the drive cage (which will void your warranty), there is no other way to improve airflow.

There are adapters on the market available to take a 19 pin USB 3.0 plug and convert it to work with a USB 2.0 motherboard header. Unfortunately this not an item that we offer at this time.

Let us know if you have any other questions regarding your new case. Also feel free to post pictures of your progress throughout the build.

Archived