Corsair Community

Unable to boot with XMP CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 on Asus z170 pro gaming MB

r-Z

Why is that???

It's called getting a good bin like how you get a good CPU bin for overclocking.

I don't aggree with you on a specific point. the word "guaranteed".

In my opinion (and i guess for a lot of people) the RAM is branded and advertised to work at 3000/3200. So yes it's "guaranteed".

Same for motherboards. it's branded and advertised to work even at 3466. so again it's "guaranteed" at 3000/3200.

If it's not guaranteed, then manufacuters should not have the right to write it on the spec sheets.

But again, money = money

You are forgetting the MCH which can also cause it not to work.

Edited by Dion250

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for the lack of update guys. Still waiting on our DRAM product manager. I've already sent him the lot #s that you posted, so I should get an answer soon. I'll touch base with him tomorrow and find out where we on this.

And???

Promise of updates???

• 2 weeks later...
And???

Promise of updates???

I Think we wont get a response anymore n0v :(

it kind of sucks man. I really hoped to full utilize my RAM since it seemed it would work as advertised.

Sad to say i won't be buying Corsair RAM again. Not because of the quality but because being left in the dark sucks.

Well the good news is with BIOS 1805 if I manually configure my timings and voltage I can now boot my CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 RAM at 3000MHz!!!

It's only taken a few months but I think it's finally working. I'll do some gaming and report back......

EDIT: It's looking good. I think they've finally cracked it!

Edited by drinkturps

This might be helpful i had a similar Problem When i brought an extra set of same memory and installed it with old set found my computer wont restart would always crash found by swapping dimm A1 with dimm B1 it stoped crashing might be work a try, also make sure your using correct memory slots as per manual A2 and B2

add me to the list of people with Asus boards and corsair vengeance memory that won't boot when at XMP. the fastest i can go is 3333MHz with an FSB:DRAM ratio of 100:133

asus x99 deluxe

corsair 4x4 GB DDR4 4000MHz (2 kits of CMK8GX4M2B4000C19)

-tried every BIOS

-tried putting in frequency manually

-tried 1 stick at a time with all 4 sticks

-tried different combinations of 2 sticks

-tried every possible voltage setting between 1.3V and 1.43V

-tried BLCK of 125 (to reduce multiplier)

-tried running CPU at stock speed and voltage as well as various overclock states

-probed memory for heat, only getting about 50*C thanks to the bundled vengeance memory coolers i got with the RAM

-tried different PSUs, Seasonic Snow Silent 1050W and Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1600W

-tried praying to every god i learned about in those stupid college courses they make you take for general education requirements. and there are a lot of them...

just placed an order on newegg for 4x4 G Skill 4000MHz memory. let's see how that goes.

Edited by terroralpha
typo in memory speed.

Has anyone tried Bios update 1805 for the z170 pro gaming boards??

what results have you achieved ?

if you would have took a second to use the search function, you would have found your answer.

Well the good news is with BIOS 1805 if I manually configure my timings and voltage I can now boot my CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 RAM at 3000MHz!!!

It's only taken a few months but I think it's finally working. I'll do some gaming and report back......

that person is using 3000MHz RAM, if you are using module which are faster, it may still not work for you

if you would have took a second to use the search function, you would have found your answer.

that person is using 3000MHz RAM, if you are using module which are faster, it may still not work for you

Hi All. I am a new guy around here and had similar problems. I have tried your suggestions and so far things are looking a little more stable now. I have achieved the 3200MHz ram speed now :D: but I have still some stability issues. :confused: I am running the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 3200MHz on a ASUS Maximus VIII Impact. I am having problems running the 5 way optimisation sweet 5 and the fan xpert 3. The keep crashing before they can finish. Has any of you experienced similar problems. I would appreciate any help that you fine people could offer me.

Cheers.:praise:

Mike Irish

The AI Suite tuner is designed to run until it crashes, unless you direct it do something else. When the system restarts, it will dial back the overclock a peg or two to the last stable setting. It may take it a few moments after restart to bring the AI Suite window up and show you the results.

Be careful mixing software overclocking (AI Suite) with BIOS level overclocking. The two have a complicated relationship. You are better off starting your AI Suite tuning at the default BIOS settings (this does not apply to fans). You can then tweak some variables in the BIOS after. Using the tuner after tweaking the BIOS may have unpredictable results. AI Suite may not run your memory up to 3200 on it's own. Regardless of the AI Suite setting, it may consider that frequency to be too high for a guaranteed stable overclock. You can go back and manually configure the timings after AI suite runs, if you think you need more.

Run the FanXpert tuning from its own panel before initiating the overclock training. Save it as a profile and then head back to 5 way optimization. You can then uncheck the bottom section relating to fan tuning. There is no reason to run the fan tuning every time and it only prolongs the process. Also, sometimes when you BSOD, FanXpert's preset values will become corrupted. If you have already saved the profile, it can be one click re-loaded, versus having to run it again.

Edited by c-attack

If you would of took a second to see who posted (creator of thread) you would of seen that i am running it faster then 3000mhz

The AI Suite tuner is designed to run until it crashes, unless you direct it do something else. When the system restarts, it will dial back the overclock a peg or two to the last stable setting. It may take it a few moments after restart to bring the AI Suite window up and show you the results.

Be careful mixing software overclocking (AI Suite) with BIOS level overclocking. The two have a complicated relationship. You are better off starting your AI Suite tuning at the default BIOS settings (this does not apply to fans). You can then tweak some variables in the BIOS after. Using the tuner after tweaking the BIOS may have unpredictable results. AI Suite may not run your memory up to 3200 on it's own. Regardless of the AI Suite setting, it may consider that frequency to be too high for a guaranteed stable overclock. You can go back and manually configure the timings after AI suite runs, if you think you need more.

Run the FanXpert tuning from its own panel before initiating the overclock training. Save it as a profile and then head back to 5 way optimization. You can then uncheck the bottom section relating to fan tuning. There is no reason to run the fan tuning every time and it only prolongs the process. Also, sometimes when you BSOD, FanXpert's preset values will become corrupted. If you have already saved the profile, it can be one click re-loaded, versus having to run it again.

I thank you for the guck reply and the excellent helpful answer. I will try this and see how I fair out.:laughing::laughing:

Thank you again.

Cheers.

Mike Irish

Hi All. I am a new guy around here and had similar problems. I have tried your suggestions and so far things are looking a little more stable now. I have achieved the 3200MHz ram speed now :D: but I have still some stability issues. :confused: I am running the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 3200MHz on a ASUS Maximus VIII Impact. I am having problems running the 5 way optimisation sweet 5 and the fan xpert 3. The keep crashing before they can finish. Has any of you experienced similar problems. I would appreciate any help that you fine people could offer me.

Cheers.:praise:

Mike Irish

"I would appreciate any help that you fine people could offer me."

Avoid Asus motherboard software like the plague. Causes more issues than it solves.

Could it be that Asus' firmware people are finally coming to grips with the MRC on cheaper boards? Let's hope so.

I Think we wont get a response anymore n0v :(

it kind of sucks man. I really hoped to full utilize my RAM since it seemed it would work as advertised.

Sad to say i won't be buying Corsair RAM again. Not because of the quality but because being left in the dark sucks.

Totally agree, promising to keep us updated and not responding will end up with a lot of people remembering and going elsewhere.

Not good customer service, plain and simple. I would be happy with updates even if it was not a fix.

So ram manufacturers will soon have to change how they advertise overclockable ram using xmp profiles as people are still buying the kits when they could be spending their cash on products that actually do what they are advertised to do at more reasonable prices.

So ram manufacturers will soon have to change how they advertise overclockable ram using xmp profiles as people are still buying the kits when they could be spending their cash on products that actually do what they are advertised to do at more reasonable prices.

Corsair memory seems to work fine with cheaper MSI and Gigabyte boards. This is what Asus had to say regarding that;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1568154/asus-north-america-asus-z170-motherboards-q-a-thread/4410#post_25080229

"The only option is to relax timings to the point where the memory kit itself is performing well under what the primary rated timings imply. I did notice some other vendors ignore the primary timings and impose their own relaxed set - nasty"

When pressed further to elaborate on the "nastiness", there was no reply to this post;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1568154/asus-north-america-asus-z170-motherboards-q-a-thread/4410#post_25081759

Apparently, Asus' approach is to have the system fail outright at say 3200MHz rather than it operate at 3200MHz with reduced performance, albeit greater than say 3000MHz. My conclusion is that Asus' firmware guys are not the brightest crayons in the box and are slow to achieve what MSI and Gigabyte have done. They're still playing catchup.

So I'm thinking of using G.skill 3200-3600mhz kit and just setting xmp to default on my m8 hero alpha.

On the Asus site under memory kits allocated for my board it still states *when using xmp at ddr4 3200mhz or higher, the systems stability depends on the cpu's capabilities.

Skylakes 6700k will run ddr4 at 2133mhz and above, so would my cpu cause xmp to fail if I go for 3200mhz and above like Asus imply, or am I really just waiting for Asus to finish tuning things their end or is it a combination of getting lucky with a good 6700k and Asus catching up. Is it true that most skylake cpu's will run ram at upto 2800mhz to 3000mhz and very few will go beyond using xmp on auto.

Edited by davidM40

So I'm thinking of using G.skill 3200-3600mhz kit and just setting xmp to default on my m8 hero alpha.

On the Asus site under memory kits allocated for my board it still states *when using xmp at ddr4 3200mhz or higher, the systems stability depends on the cpu's capabilities.

Skylakes 6700k will run ddr4 at 2133mhz and above, so would my cpu cause xmp to fail if I go for 3200mhz and above like Asus imply, or am I really just waiting for Asus to finish tuning things their end or is it a combination of getting lucky with a good 6700k and Asus catching up. Is it true that most skylake cpu's will run ram at upto 2800mhz to 3000mhz and very few will go beyond using xmp on auto.

This thread pertains mainly to four layer (entry level) Asus boards. That's where Asus is lagging in terms of memory compatibility and appears to be playing catchup with MSI etc.. You have at least a six layer board and shouldn't have any issues running G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16 DRAM using default XMP settings. I told you this already in another thread.

Edited by Eldata

This thread pertains mainly to four layer (entry level) Asus boards. That's where Asus is lagging in terms of memory compatibility and appears to be playing catchup with MSI etc.. You have at least a six layer board and shouldn't have any issues running G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16 DRAM using default XMP settings. I told you this already in another thread.

To be honest I'm only just getting my head round all these issues and still have lots to learn, after 3 days of reading all sorts on numerous sites regarding my concerns things were confusing me and maybe I've read into things to much while trying to put all I've read into something that answers my queries. I'm getting a better understanding of it all mainly thanks to this forum and also yourself.

"I would appreciate any help that you fine people could offer me."

Avoid Asus motherboard software like the plague. Causes more issues than it solves.

True,, Asus motherboard software is always causing issues

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

i use the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard and Ram from Corsair ( 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-2400 DIMM CL14 Dual Kit) (CMK32GX4M2A2400C14)

that are 2x 16GB

If i install one of them von the Board i can start up Windows and go into Bios etc. Does not mather which one of the sticks i use.

If i install both stick and start the computer, the screen stays black. i cant go into bios or windows.

bios version is uo to date. installed the newest from asus website.

so 1 stick works, but 2 sticks i dont get a picture on monitor. no error or something else. just a black screen (checking cable) does not mather which stick is installed on which slot.

any ideas?

the ram is not listet from asus.

i am using the onboard hdmi at the moment, because i dont received the graphic card yet. (will be geforce gtx 1080)

Edited by derjp

I have the following setup: ASUS Z170-A, core i5 6600, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16), Samsung 950 PRO Series - 256GB SSD M.2, EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FOUNDERS EDITION, THERMALTAKE SMART ATX 80PLUS WHITE 700W PSU, WATER COOLER CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H75.

I'm using Windows 10 (build 1511) with driver 368.39. Also tried 368.51 after a fresh driver install with DDU.

BIOS is update but it only recognize RAM as 2133. If I manually set it to 3200 I get an error after reboot saying OC failed.

I did put RAM in slots A1, B1 or A2, B2 and also tried only one slot in A1 but I keep getting random errors in apps. Did run memtest with RAM on slots A1 and B1 but didn't get any errors (clock on auto - 2133).

Temperature is fine... did run stress test but it seems ok.

The one app that crashes every time is Nvidia Control Panel. When I right click on the Nvidia Control Panel it doesn't open or opens and crashes.

Also ran EVGA OC Scanner. It didn't find any artifacts.

Edited by gustavct
missing text / formatting

So what speed are you running the memory at now? have you managed to get the machine booting into windows with the memory at 3200?

you have the exact same kit as me, I could get it booting randomly with 3200 and the latest bios but have just left it set at 3000 for now as it boots every time and stable in windows, I found that when i did manage to boot into windows at 3200 random applications would crash so wasn't very stable.

in the bios I basically select the XMP profile so it sets the timings on the memory and then override the speed from 3200 to 3000 and also set the memory voltage to 1.35 manually, its generally very stable once doing this and works fine.

hopefully a few bios revisions later from ASUS and I'll be able to achieve the golden 3200 speeds!