Corsair Community

H110 pump on Maximus VII Hero headers

OCMed

Hello everybody. I'm confused about how to set up the H110 on my Maximus VII Hero. I put the pump into the CPU_Fan header, one of the H110 fans into the CPU_OPT, and the other fan into a chassis fan header. How do i know my pump is working properly? The CPU_OPT fan seems to run at a constant 750RPM I use Fan Xpert 3 to make the fans work their hardest or the system starts heating up. I just want to make sure my pump is working at max speed because I was able to overclock my i4790k from 40 to 48, but it started crashing and blue screening randomly while playing games (I haven't overclocked the GPU yet).

This has been an often debated topic. I'll share my experiences so far. I am running an H110 with a new Asus X99-Pro board.

On my board, BIOS, and AI Suite 3, I have no control over the CPU_OPT fan speed. It simply isn't listed anywhere as an option. Asus states the OPT connector is programmed to mirror the CPU_FAN connector, and based on the twin fans I have running in those slots, this does seem to be the case (+-50 rpm). On the Z97 or Z87 Asus boards, there may still be a work around.

What I elected to do was plug the H110 pump into CHA_Fan 3, although any of the CHA fan slots should work. It was a convenient connector that allowed me to travel the wire along the back of the H110 water tubes. In the BIOS and in AI Suite I have set the fan to manual control and 100% min duty cycle. This keeps it running at the max, as long as I don't hit one of AI suite's pre-programmed fan buttons (silent. std, turbo, Full). Those seem to override any settings you have established. Also be aware that any of the power savers settings may also override your commands. I instinctively check the pump speed every time I load up a heavy program, and usually switch into a different fan profile at that point anyway. SO far this has worked, with some occasional learning gaffes on my part. I may just run it on a molex in the future.

On my board, BIOS, and AI Suite 3, I have no control over the CPU_OPT fan speed. It simply isn't listed anywhere as an option. Asus states the OPT connector is programmed to mirror the CPU_FAN connector, and based on the twin fans I have running in those slots, this does seem to be the case (+-50 rpm). On the Z97 or Z87 Asus boards, there may still be a work around.

Yes cpu-fan and cpu-opt share the same control,basically an option to control two functions from one source...

Thanks for the replies. I found something odd while in AI Suite. I attached a picture to show you guys. AI Suite doesn't let me control what's listed as CPU Fan. It has a maxi and min speed of 1500RPM. In the lower right corner, you can see the CPU Fan and the CPU_OPT fan. The CPU Fan (pump I would guess) seems to be running at a constant 1500 while the CPU_OPT fan runs at about 750. Does this mean my pump is working fine?

Fan.thumb.png.012f033a1851cca76377a55ee42660a7.png

And I am going to withdraw my earlier recommendation. Someone else in the forum mentioned the greyed out pump controls as well. I just got off the phone with Asus support. The two guys running the Asus forum were wrong. Not plugging the pump or a CPU cooler can cause other problems. Apparently (at least the X99 boards) have some fail safes and other non-deferrable settings that can be triggered when waking from sleep, restarts, and the like. Also, as mentioned there are some functions that will override any of the CHA_FAN headers at any time. The AI suite senses it's not variable speed in the fan tuning process and locks it out. Unfortunately, that makes the FAN_OPT header useless for most people.

Ah, so i guess I shouldn't mess with anything then? I realized my second Corsair H110 fan was plugged into cha2 header, but the control on the Bios was set to DC instead of PMW. I changed it to PMW, and that one is now running at a 750RPM idle along with the CPU_OPT fan. I guess it's supposed to be like that. I don't know if this is terribly important for anybody to know, but I have the two fans with the H110 configured as exhaust fans.

Are your H110 fans are stuck at 750? Or are they scaling with CPU temp on a hidden scale?

I ran my own test since the OPT header is now free. My 1800 RPM PWM fan just sat there at 610+-10 through a couple of OCCT cycles. I don't know where the 33% load factor comes from.

Archived