Corsair Community

Corsair HX750 (Gold) extremely loud fan

jugetsu85

Hey guys,

I have a Corsair HX750 (Gold) powering my system and I have two problems with it. Both of the problems are related to the fan of the PSU, or rather the way the fan operates. The first problem is the known issue concerning the fan surges, which in practice mean that the fan (without any apparent reason) suddenly goes all the way to 100% and then slowly comes down to a full stop and thus eventually reaches the quiet mode.

Albeit the tendency to conduct said surges is an annoying "feature" of the PSU, I have been able to live with it since the surges do not (with my current setup) occur extremely often but rather like once every 15 to 20 minutes. When the PSU is not surging and the load is not heavy, it remains silent, which is good.

The other problem is that the PSU is extremely loud under heavy gaming load. This is annoying since gaming is the main task for my setup. It would appear that the PSU fan goes all the way up to 100% after a only few seconds into a heavy game such as Battlefield 4. The fan then tends to remain at 100% the whole time spent under such load. This fan noise from coming from the PSU easily exceeds the noise from all the other fans. I have in my case four Corsair chassis fans and one Coolermaster CPU fan connected to the Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler. This noise from the PSU is rather bothersome since I have invested in a Corsair Obsidian 550D, which is designed to provide a silent computing experience as we know. The other fans do not create excessive noise.

I am currently running an i7 4790K at 4.4 Ghz and overclocked GTX 670's in SLI, so the load is comparatively heavy on the PSU. But it should be noted that I bought this PSU a couple of years ago to replace my trusty TX850W and during this time the PSU has powered many different GPUs and CPUs. The noise has been the same with all of them and since the PSU was brand new. Although the PSU is usually quiet under light load (except for the surges), this overall noisiness of the unit has began to bother me lately more than before. I've said to myself that this (the noise) is a feature of the PSU, but lately I have started to consider the possibility that the PSU - or rather the fan control unit - is in fact faulty. I live in Finland so I am not very well accustomed to the RMA process Corsair has in place. I know that it is exceptionally good in the USA, but I am not sure whether it works as well in Europe?

What do you guys think about my issue(s) with the PSU? Should I try to RMA it or accept the noise as a feature and upgrade to a more silent PSU? I am not happy about this since I am quite fond of the Corsair brand and Corsair products in general. I have had a H60 that suddenly broke down, which I have not even bothered to RMA. So do I have another faulty Corsair product in my hands or not? Please share your opinion on this. :idea::idea:

Kind regards,

Jugetsu85

Archived