Corsair Community

[CX650] Fan noise even while functionality testing

sodhi

Dear Corsair forum users (and support folk),

I've recently been wondering about noise from my PC. After taking apart the thing to locate the noise, I've concluded that the absolute noisiest thing in my build is my PSU. I don't know whether the noiselevel is acceptable or not, but I felt like it was a bit much.

In order to reduce noise I started out by taking the PSU out to clean it for dust. Unfortunately I stuck my screwdriver right into the "WARRANTY VOID IF BROKEN" seal (so clever I am) and started screwing. After realizing I didn't need to remove those screws, I screwed them back in (I did not touch anything internally) and unscrewed only the fan shield. I tried cleaning the PSU as much as possible, screwed back the shield and turned on the PSU. Unfortunately it had not done anything to reduce the noise. In order to test further, I tried starting the PSUs fanless mode with the "functionality test". Regardless of me starting the PSU this way (with just a 120mm fan attached), the fan starts blowing and the PSU is instantly noisy.

My questions are these:

a) Why is the fanless mode not working correctly? Can anything be done from my side to fix it?

b) Is this a warranty issue?

c) Will the warranty cover when I've broken the seal on the screw?

• Corsair Employee

My questions are these:

a) Why is the fanless mode not working correctly? Can anything be done from my side to fix it?

b) Is this a warranty issue?

c) Will the warranty cover when I've broken the seal on the screw?

My answers are these:

a) Fan controller died. Fail safe is to have the fan run at maximum to ensure the PSU's internals do not overheat from a dead fan.

b) Yes. It would have been covered under warranty.

c) No. Once that label is broken, you've voided your warranty.

My answers are these:

a) Fan controller died. Fail safe is to have the fan run at maximum to ensure the PSU's internals do not overheat from a dead fan.

b) Yes. It would have been covered under warranty.

c) No. Once that label is broken, you've voided your warranty.

Thank you for your reply. Any chance it's something I can fix myself?

Archived