Corsair Community

4.6v on 5v rail (voltmeter)

Marvin Schilder

So, less than 1 year i got this problem.

PC Screem down but still running (HDD LED always light on and Power LED off)

When i try to turn on again, the CPU fan and Video Card Fan wont run. No Screen.

Seriusly Corsair?! Less than 1 year?

With a voltmeter, i got 4.6v on 5v rail.

PSU GS 700w

Core i5 4670k

Asus H87M-Plus

GTX 770 Zotac

2SSD

1HDD

No Led, no aditional fan.

• Corsair Employee

EDIT: Bad math.....

+4.6V on the +5V is a little out of spec. Should be between +4.75 and +5.25V. But it shouldn't prevent the PC from turning on.

This isn't necessarily a PSU problem. Could be motherboard.

HDD light? As in the activity light? Power LED off? Hmm... Does the motherboard have a +5VSB LED on it?

EDIT #2: From what I can tell, that motherboard has an SB_PWR LED that should be on if it's getting +5VSB from the PSU.

PSU provides 5.12v until the pc show these problems. So the PSU begins providing 4.6v.

After cutting the energy and plugging it again, I can hear HDD starting up, and the PSU leds keeps oscillating like an old house's lamp when someone turns on the blender. PSU still is providing 4.6v.

After sometime, all goes back to normal.

It seems that the motherboard refuses to boot up.

• Corsair Employee

Hmm.... So it could be the PSU. Weird problem though. I've been doing this for a couple decades and don't recall a PSU suddenly dropping from 5.12V to 4.6V and maintaining that 4.6V after a power cycle. Only to have that rail eventually go back up to 5.12V. Very strange.

Just get an RMA.

• Corsair Employee

OVerheating *shouldn't* cause the voltages to drop. The PSU should shut off completely if that were the case. Not just the screen going blank, but like someone hit the power button.

The fan is working on the PSU, right? Does it feel hot to the touch?

Archived